Thomson Reuters Foundation Reporting Workshops on Illicit Finance in Africa 2019 for African Journalists – Cape Town, South Africa
Thomson Reuters Foundation, in partnership with the Institute for the Advancement of Journalism, is looking for journalists based anywhere in Africa who are motivated to understand how their country could be losing money via illicit means.
Application Deadline: 13th August 2019.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Cape Town, South Africa
About the Award: Wealth of Nations is a long-term engagement, and journalists who take part must commit to all elements of the scheme, signing an agreement to this effect. These elements include:
- The production of stories on illicit financial flows
- A mentoring support scheme that will help produce these stories
- Intensive training on reporting illicit finance with a workshop from 22 – 23 October 2019
- Attendance of a two-day conference related to illicit financial flows in Cape Town as part of the workshop
Journalists will not be considered to have completed the scheme until they have completed all the elements, which include producing at least one story or investigation on illicit financial flows and will not receive their certificates until this point.
- Journalists with at least two years of professional experience and fluent English
- It is an advantage if you are familiar with investigative journalism, reporting on finances and/or dealing with numbers more generally, but if you have a strong motivation to learn about and understand these issues then we will consider your application. Early career journalists are invited to apply.
- You must be able to spend significant time working on illicit finance stories.
- Both freelancers and staff journalists may apply. Journalists working for a news organisation will need consent from their editor to take part. Freelancers should provide evidence that one or more media organisations will be willing to take their work.
- Journalists working in any medium or multiple media are welcome to apply (print, online, radio or television).
- Journalists should be based in Africa and working for one or more African media organisations.
- Journalists applying must have fluent English.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- If selected, you will take part in one intensive workshop (5 days) covering illicit finance, reporting on companies, accounts and budgets, and investigative techniques. The Workshop will take place in Cape Town, South Africa.
- During the workshop you will also attend a two-day conference related to illicit financial flows. Being at the conference will allow you access to leading experts on illicit financial flows.
- You will propose one or more story ideas that you wish to work on within the scheme – we will provide experienced journalists to help you pursue your stories right up to publication/broadcast.
- You will have exclusive access to expertise through our network of illicit finance experts.
- You will also have access to story ideas and editorial advice, and will be invited to share your own expertise with participants from other regions.
Successful applicants will receive a full bursary that will cover air travel expenses (economy class), accommodation, local transfers and meals. Please note that you need to check visa requirements and ensure you have the necessary documentation required. The cost of your visa and any other related costs will be the responsibility of the participant.
Duration of Program: 21 October – 25 October 2019
How to Apply:
- Two work samples
- A letter from your editor consenting to your participation and confirming that they will publish any story produced through the programme. For example, the letter should say “I confirm that we will publish any story produced through the programme”.
Please have these ready before you begin the form.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
How to Apply to Win DAAD Scholarship in Germany
15 Inspiring Lessons from 5 African Billionaires for Young People
How to Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship – Tips To Apply To Win