Merck More Than a Mother Media Awards for Journalists and Students in East Africa (USD3000 Award) 2018
The Merck More Than a Mother Media Awards will honor and reward outstanding journalistic coverage that enhances the public’s engagement and understanding of infertility stigma and the need to change the social perception of it in African communities.
Application Deadline: 31st March 2018
Eligible Countries: East African countries
About the Award: Merck Healthcare have established this award in partnership with Africa Fertility Society to showcase and appreciate outstanding health journalism and to recognize individual professional journalists and students who have produced accurate, informative, and compelling stories about infertile women or couples.
The stories targeted are those of infertile women sharing their suffering and abuse by their husbands, families or communities due to their condition. It is very critical to share these stories with the public to build advocacy of the need to change such behavior and break the stigma around infertility in general. It also will provide a platform for those who have sought treatment to advise others on the journey and support those undergoing infertility treatments.
Eligibility: The Award is open to print, video broadcast, photo journalists and media students whose stories appear in newspapers, websites, blogs and television and that target the public.
- The stories submitted should be in a form of articles with photos, or three to five minute videos recorded using smart devices
- The story must have been published any time before 30th AUGUST 2017
- Links to the stories must be submitted before the dead line.
- Plagiarism of any kind will lead to automatic disqualification
- Photo entries will only be limited to 2 photographs per journalist/student.
- Applicants should be East African journalists and registered media students in East Africa.
Categories: Submission will be judged and recipients selected based on the following categories:
Print and Online
- Newspapers or magazines
- Online (blogs and/or social media)
The stories submitted should be in a form of articles with photos, or three to five minute videos recorded using smart devices
- Online (blogs and /or social media)
- Newspaper or magazines
- Online(blogs and /or social media)
Value of Award:
- Multimedia: USD3000;
- Print: USD1000;
- Radio: USD1000;
- Online: USD1000;
How to Apply:
- Applicants Name, Sex, Age, Category, Media House (for students), Country and Contacts must be provided with the submission.
- Applications can be submitted via MyStory@MerckMoreThanAMother.com.
- Watch videos below on the stories of women’s suffering as a result of the infertility stigma on the Program Webpage (See Link below)
Award Providers: Merck