PASET RSIF Scholarships 2021/2022 for PhD Students in sub-Saharan Africa
Applications for PASET RSIF Scholarships are invited from candidates interested in receiving international-quality PhD training, and access to research and innovation ecosystems at a PASET RSIF African Host University.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2021 at 5:00 pm (East Africa Time; UTC+3)
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at (country): Sub-Saharan Africa
About the PASET RSIF Scholarships: Being a scholar of the Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is a bridge to becoming a part of an exciting new community of highly skilled African scientists and innovators in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (ASET) fields. RSIF aims to provide the ecosystem necessary to nurture its scholars during their PhD program and continue to create the support system for them after graduation.
The Partnership for skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET) is an African-led initiative with the goal of strengthening skills in the Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology to further socio-economic transformation in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is the flagship program of PASET. RSIF focuses on transformative technologies that have a far-reaching positive impact on society. It is funded by African governments, the European Commission, the World Bank and the Government of Korea and facilitated by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Nairobi, Kenya.
RSIF aims to train quality PhD students and post-doctoral researchers at selected African universities (‘African Host Universities’) to address the human resource gap of highly qualified specialists in the fields of applied sciences, engineering, and technology (ASET) and to contribute to improving research and innovation capacities in those fields in SSA. RSIF supports training, research and innovation in five PASET Priority Thematic Areas: (1) ICT including big data and artificial intelligence, (2) Food security and agri-business, (3) Minerals, mining and materials engineering, (4) Energy including renewables and (5) Climate change.
To be eligible for a PASET RSIF Scholarships, applicants must:
- Have a relevant master’s degree in one of the fields of study.
- Meet the specific admission requirements of the RSIF African Host University where they would like to pursue a PhD (see Link to the AHU PhD programs)
- Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan Africa country.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are 35 years of age and below.
- Be willing to enroll full-time in a PhD program at an RSIF African Host University in the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Should not be holding another PhD scholarship, or currently be enrolled in any PhD Program when applying to the RSIF PhD scholarship.
- Be willing to spend 6-24 months in a ‘sandwich’ research placement at an international partner institute.
- Demonstrate that their research goals are well aligned to the Priority Thematic Areas and contribute to Africa’s development.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of PASET RSIF Scholarships: The RSIF PhD Scholarship covers university tuition and related fees, competitive stipend to cover living expenses, travel, medical insurance, and research costs. Graduates will have access to RSIF competitive research grants upon completion of their PhD.
Duration of PASET RSIF Scholarships: The PhD Scholarships are available to support 3-4-year doctoral training in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology
How to Apply for PASET RSIF Scholarships: Applications are accepted through this online application platform: Applications submitted by email or in hardcopy will not be accepted.
Please address any questions to: [email protected]