UONGOZI Leadership Essay Contest 2019 for African Students (USD$2000 + Fully-funded to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania)
African citizens between the age of 18-25 are invited to submit an essay for this year’s Leadership Essay Contest organised by the Institute of African Leadership for Sustainable Development (UONGOZI Institute).
Application Deadline: 21st June, 2019 at 17:00 hours (GMT).
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): South Africa
About the Award: The essay contest aims to provide a space for the youth of Africa and the next generation of leaders in the region to contribute to important discussions on leadership.
Eligibility/Criteria: The contest is open to all African citizens between the age of 18 – 25 years old, to write about their perspective on leadership as it relates to peace and security in Africa.
This year’s Competition aims to solicit thoughts on promoting good natural resource management for socio-economic transformation in Africa. The essays should respond to the following question:
“If you were an African leader, how would you promote sustainable use of the renewable natural resources for fostering socio-economic transformation in Africa?”
- The essays should be no more than 2 A4 pages long.
- The format shall be of single spaced, Arial font size 11 with page margins of 1 inch (2.54cm) for each margin, and sent as a Microsoft Word document.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of originality, creativity, use of language and appropirateness to contest theme.
- All essays must be written in English.
- Applicants must be African citizens between the age of 18-25 currently residing in Africa.
- The selected winners will be required to travel to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on 29th August, 2019, therefore valid identification and travel documents will be required for this purpose.
Number of Awards: 5. A total of five winners will be selected.
Value of Program:
- A grand prize of USD $2,000 will be awarded to the overall winner. The second prize will be $1,500, third prize $1,000, fourth prize $700 and fifth prize $500.
- The top 5 winners will travel to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, to receive their awards at a prize giving ceremony to be held during the African Leadership Forum Gala Dinner on 29th August, 2019, in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. which will be attended by senior leaders from across Africa in the public, private and civil society sectors.
- The overall winner will be asked to read the winning essay at the event.
How to Apply:
Essays should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must also submit a written Statement of Originality and ownership of intellectual property rights.
The final deadline for submission will be Friday, 21st June, 2019 at 17:00 hours (GMT). The winners will be notified via email on the third week of July, 2019. Feedback will not be provided on individual essays.
Award Provider: UONGOZI Institute