Reporters Without Borders Germany is calling for applications for its Berlin Scholarship Program: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field.
Application Deadline: 5th December 2022 at 23:59 (Central European Time).
Eligible Countries: See Eligibility below
To Be Taken At (Country): Berlin, Germany
About the Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Programme: From April 2023 until November 2023, ten journalists from crisis areas will be invited to Berlin for a period of four months each.
In a journalistic work, the aim of the study is to provide students with a practical knowledge of how to protect themselves against digital threats. In addition, they want to receive training on how to teach others in their home region about digital security issues.
Type: Short course
Eligibility for Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Programme: Professional journalists, bloggers, media professionals and citizen journalists who
- are exposed to digital threats due to their work in their home regions.
- want to learn and work extensively with digital security in order to improve their personal security.
- are interested in passing on the knowledge acquired during the scholarship program to colleagues in their home regions and, ideally, already have some experience in teaching or other areas of knowledge transfer.
- Applicants must have a very strong command of the English language, as the whole scholarship program will be conducted entirely in English.
- Applicants must have adequate experience working as a journalist, be it as a professional journalist or a citizen journalist.
- A high level of proficiency in regards to digital security is not required; anyone who is used to working with a computer and smart phone can apply.
- In addition, applicants must show that they are willing to return to their home region after the fellowship in Germany.
- Previous teaching experience would be desirable.
Number of Awards: 10
Value of Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Programme: We cover the travel costs, take care of all visa-related matters, provide a pleasant apartment in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship, pocket money of around € 1000 per month, free use of public transportation in Berlin and a fully equipped computer, in a field of digital security and didactics. Furthermore, during their stay in Berlin scholarship holders will be given insights into the activities of a globally active journalist and human rights organization.
Duration of Programme: From April 2023 until November 2023.
How to Apply Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Programme: Please send a completed and signed application form, the completed questionnaire, your CV and a proof of identity (copy of your ID or your passport) as attachments in separate PDF documents (4 PDFs in total) via the Signal messenger service to +491636743853, or if you have a ProtonMail account to rsf.digitalfreedom[at]protonmail.com.
The application form and the questionnaire are fillable PDF files. Please fill in these files on a computer and send them to us in this form. Follow these instructions to ensure that we can read all your texts:
1. Save the two PDF files
2. Fill in the two files on your computer
3. Save the completed files again
4. Send the completed files to us
Please use the application form and questionnaire provided by us. We ask for your understanding that we can only contact applicants who are shortlisted for a spot on the program.
Visit Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Programme Webpage for Details