Scholarship Name: Heinrich Boll Scholarships for International Students
Brief description: Approximately 1, 000 Heinrich Böll Foundation International Scholarships for Undergraduates, Graduates, and PhD Students to study at Universities in Germany
Accepted Subject Areas: Any subject area is applicable
The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’) in Germany.
Scholarship recipients are expected to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
The following general requirements apply to international student applicants (except EU citizens) who wish to study in Germany:
- You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
- You need a good knowledge of German, and require you provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
Number of Scholarships: Approximately 1000
Duration of Scholarship: Scholarship will be offered for the duration of the undergraduate, Masters or Doctoral programme
Eligible Countries: International Students
To be taken at (country): Universities, Universities of Applied Sciences, or Universities of the Arts in Germany
Application Deadlines: 2 September 2015 (Autumn) and 3 March 2016 (Spring)
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply
The application form will be completed online; additional application documents will be submitted as PDF.
Visit the Scholarship Webpage
Sponsors: The Heinrich Böll Foundation, Germany
Note: Application deadlines are normally twice a year: 1 March and 1 September. It is important to read the Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarship Brochure and visit the official website for details on how to apply for this scholarship.