The UNU-EHS - University of Bonn and the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security are delighted to announce that thanks to support from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) they will be offering a…
university of bonn
The University of Bonn is a public research university, located in Bonn, North Rhine-Westphalia, and Germany. Established in 1818, this university holds a good reputation among the top higher education institutes in Germany as well as among the research-based universities in the world. This university immediately opened its doors after World War II, and remained consistent with its goal of creating a good reputation on a global platform. This university also developed an international orientation with the construction of new buildings on its campus, and the expansion of its specialization areas. Bonn University comprises seven faculties-Catholic, Protestant Theology, Law & Economics, Math & Natural Sciences, Arts, Medicine, and Agriculture.
General Information for International Students
Bonn University is one of 11 Universities of Excellence in Germany and is also ranked among the world’s top universities (rank 100, 2018 Times Higher Education Ranking). Proportionately we have almost 14 percent foreign students from 141 countries (summer semester 2019), meaning that in effect every seventh student comes from abroad! That’s no coincidence; the University of Bonn offers a wide range of educational and training opportunities to international students, in a high-quality economic region and comfortable living and living environment.
You will find information on studying or studying abroad programs at the University of Bonn on the following paragraphs, as well as relevant suggestions on how to improve your German and/or acquire intercultural experiences and skills.
Degree and Doctoral Programmes
- Do you have any interest in one of their undergraduate or graduate programs? You can submit an application to the University of Bonn in about 200 study subjects, see the study for a degree.
- Do you wish to study in one of Bonn’s specially designed International Programs (BA, MA, PhD / Doctorate) at the University of Bonn? These programs are conducted either in English or in a bilingual setting.
- You already have a degree and would like, as a PhD student, to undertake doctoral research at the University of Bonn.
Short-Term, Exchange and Study Abroad Programs
Do you want to spend part of your studies at Bonn? With one of our many programs, you can come to Bonn for a whole year, a semester or just a few weeks, like:
- Direct Exchange and Junior Year Program (Study Abroad)
- Summer Schools in Bonn
German Language Courses
Bonn University offers various opportunities for international students to improve and broaden their German skills.
The University of Bonn provides specially designed courses particularly targeted at international students. These are fluent or entirely taught in English and provide international students with additional counseling and support services. Others offer a double degree, too.
- English-Language Masters Programs
- International Double Degree Programs (B.A. /M.A.)
- Postgraduate Training Programs
- International Graduate Schools and Doctoral Programs
- Bilingual Programs
For developing countries, the University of Bonn and the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) offer up to eight fully-funded scholarships. These scholarships are available for the pursuit of the Joint Master of Science (M.Sc.) program “Geography of Environmental Risks and Human Security.” The ultimate goal of the Bonn Masters Scholarship is to foster intercultural exchange and enable students to contribute to their home countries ‘ sustainable development by applying the knowledge they have acquired during the study programme.
Applicants who speak non-native English must demonstrate sufficient English language skills.
Fields of expertise include
- Vulnerability Assessment,
- Ecosystem Services,
- Sustainable Development,
- Disaster Management,
- Climate Change Adaptation,
- Human-Nature Relationships,
- Science & Technology Studies,
- Development Geography,
- Future Studies,
- GIS and Remote Sensing.
How to Apply
A completed packet of applications consists of:
- Application form completed and signed
- Any application must be accompanied by a signed Résumé / CV A current summary including a chronological listing of employment and other significant activities.
- Transcripts Official: Applicants must submit an official transcript for any period of time from each college or university in which they have been enrolled, showing all the courses, grades and degrees they have received.
- Only transcripts certified by the university in which the diploma was awarded will be accepted.
- A certified translation of the transcript into English or German is also required in cases where the transcript is written in any language other than English.
- Translated versions may be certified either by the university of origin, or by an official national or international institution.
- Motivation Letter. A written statement, one to two pages in length, describing their motivation, proposed area of research, background, past work in the intended field of study, plans for further postgraduate study and any other information that they feel is relevant.
- Applicants currently enrolled in a postgraduate program at another university should explain why they are interested in changing programmes.
- An English language proficiency certificate for non-native English speakers or applicants in which English is not the official language.
- Letters of recommendation
All documents must be scanned and sent together as one single PDF file. Only Epos applicants might organize their application in two files. The file size for each file should not exceed 8 Megabytes (MB). Send completed application packet to their mail
Lastly, the University of Bonn is a school that is replete with historical events. Having the opportunity to school here would such an amazing opportunity especially for international students.
Among its notable alumni and faculty are Pope Benedict XVI, Karl Marx, Joseph Goebbels, Heinrich Heine, Heinrich Hertz, Maria von Linden, Friedrich Hirzebruch, Friedrich Nietzsche, Friedrich August Kekulé von Stradonitz, Syed Mujtaba Ali, Joseph Schumpeter, and Konrad Adenauer.
The RLC Bonn and RLC Mumbai jointly organise the online workshop “Sustainable urban development and innovations in South and Southeast Asia to combat marginalisation and livelihood insecurity in informal settlements” from June 18-20, 2021,…
Invitation of scholars preferably from Africa, Latin America, and South/ East) Asia for research on Sustainable Development Goals-related topics (for periods of 3–12 months). Application Deadline: 31st May 2021 About the Award: The…
Applications are open for the Argelander Scholarships for doctoral candidates from universities in the Global South. Application Deadline: 31st May 2021 About the Award: Research stays in Bonn (3–12 months) for doctoral candidates at…
The University of Bonn and the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) are partners in the Bonn Alliance for Sustainability Research. In a joint Spring School we invite African Germany-Alumni from…