What is TOEFL? TOEFL is an English proficiency-based exam which stands for Test Of English as a Foreign Language. It is a standardized test use by various international speaking Universities to examine its students for their English…
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. TOEFL test is a methodical English ability test that estimates the capacity of non-native English speakers.
What is the Exam Used For
TOEFL scores are predominantly used by universities as part of the admissions policy. Generally, those who take the TOEFL want to attend university or graduate school abroad. It is primarily used as a measure of the ability of international students to use English in an academic environment.
Difference Between TOEFL and IELTS
Just as we stated earlier, TOEFL is an acronym for Test of English as a Foreign Language while IELTS is an abbreviation for International English Language Testing System. Though both tests comprises four sections that assess the most significant facets of language: reading, listening, writing and speaking.
The TOEFL is completely numerous choices, while the IELTS has a blend of short answers and essay questions. TOEFL is usable as a paper-based test, but the internet-based test is more prominent. Prior to 2016, the IELTS was only functional as a paper-based test but since then it has introduced computer-based testing as well. The internet-based TOEFL can take up to four hours to complete, while the IELTS is two hours and forty-five minutes long. However, the IELTS may take more than one day because the speaking test with the instructor is separate from the other sectors.
- TOEFL varies by country between $165-$300, with most countries under $200 while IELTS varies by country. In the U.S. the test costs $215-$245.
- TOEFL is four hours while IELTS is two hours and forty-five minutes.
- TOEFL’s reading section is between 60-80 minutes while IELTS is 60 minutes.
- For the listening section, TOEFL is between 60-90 minutes while IELTS is 30 minutes.
- The speaking section for TOEFL is 20 minutes while IELTS takes between 11-14 minutes.
- While TOEFL’s writing section is 50 minutes, IELTS is 60 minutes.
- Accents you might hear in TOEFL could be North American, British, New Zealand or Australian while for IELTS, it could be Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, British or American.
- TOEFL is offered around the world while IELTS is in more than 1,800 locations in 140 countries worldwide.
- TOEFL have more than 50 test dates per year while IELTS is 48 test dates per year.
- The scoring scale for TOEFL is 0 to 120 while IELTS is 0 to 9.
- The average minimum score required by ranked U.S. universities for TOEFL is 78 while IELTS is 6.3.
Why You Should Take TOEFL
It is a test that estimates your ability to speak, write, and read in English at a college or university level. This test is one of the best measures of whether or not you are ready to attend college at an English-speaking school, even though you may think that you speak and write English well, doing so on the college level Is entirely different, especially if you have learned it as a foreign language.
Below are the criteria.
- Ordinarily, a pass in 10+2 level of any recognized Indian Board or University is a suitable qualification to take the TOEFL.
- However, the test is desirable for candidates studying at the high school level or higher. The level of the test is quite high.
- Several institutions report that they often do NOT require TOEFL test scores from certain categories of international applicants. These include:
- Non native speakers who hold degrees or diplomas from post-secondary institutions in English speaking countries (e.g. the U.S., Canada, England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand).
How to Apply
- Create a profile on the website
- Begin registration
- Choose a test center and date
- ID information and score reporting
- Selecting score recipients
- Demographics and TOEFL Search Service
Finally, if you are a native from a non-English speaking country and you wish to study in an English speaking country, then the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is best suitable for you. It is recognized all over the world, easily accessible and cost less than $200.
Do you know that you can study abroad, even on scholarship without IELTS or TOEFL? When applying for studies in schools abroad, one of the toughest hurdles to overcome for admission into a good university is the TOEFL or the IELTS…
Application Deadline: Course starts on 13th of June, 2016. Offered Annually? Not known Eligible Countries: Global To be taken at (country): Online Field of Study: English Language About the Award: This test preparation…
Scholarship name: TOEFL® Merit Scholarship program Do you know that you can be awarded a TOEFL scholarship to study abroad at your choice university by having a good score in the TOEFL® test even as a student from an African countries?…
Get ready for your TOEFL Test Preparation! As a non-native English speaker, before you can successfully qualify for admission or scholarships to Universities and colleges in most native English speaking countries like US, UK, Australia,…