Opportunities for Social Entrepreneurship including Scholarships, grants and funding for Startups Founders
Social Entrepreneurship has to do with recognizing social problems and seeking to achieve social change by employing entrepreneurial and innovative means.
It involves organizations or business interests researching into societal problems and then setting up creative ways to solve these problems.
It is worthy to note that while the common entrepreneurial setups that we are used to may open up business ventures with the sole aim of maximizing profits, the sole aim of the social entrepreneur is to battle societal and environmental challenges without gauging the performance in terms of profit or returns in monetary value.
The social entrepreneur is mostly in business to change lives and alleviate society’s most pressing problems.
Scholarships and Funding For Social Entrepreneurship
- Echoing Green Global Fellowships For Social Entrepreneurship: This Program offers a stipend of $80,000 for individuals or $90,000 for two-person partnership. An emerging social entrepreneur from any part of the working world may apply.
- Unreasonable Institute For High Impact Social Entrepreneurs (Global, US and East Africa): This is for entrepreneurs that have what it takes to provide solutions to the world’s biggest problems.
- Hult Prize For Social Enterprise: The Hult Prize is offered in partnership with the former US President Bill Clinton and the Clinton Global Initiative. The prize offers budding young social entrepreneurs emerging from the world’s universities a whopping sum of $1,000,000 to solve the world’s toughest challenges. This prize is funded by Swedish entrepreneur, Bertil Hult and his family.
- Acumen Global Fellowship Program For Next Generation of Social Impact Leaders: This is a 12-month fellowship for individuals dedicated to serving the poor and who have business ventures that will impact society in the long term.
- Skoll Masters Scholarship in Social Entrepreneurship for International Students to Study in the UK: This is a competitive scholarship for incoming MBA students who pursue entrepreneurial solutions for urgent social and environmental challenges. It provides funding and an opportunity to meet with world-renowned entrepreneurs and investors.
- D-Prize Challenge for Social Entrepreneurs: This scholarship is an opportunity for bold entrepreneurs to design new social enterprises and solve one of the distribution challenges. $20,000 is up for grabs in the challenge.
- Global Social Venture Competition for Aspiring Entrepreneurs: This is a preeminent social venture competition for aspiring entrepreneurs with mentoring, exposure and $50,000 in prize money to transform their business ideas into positive real-world impact.
Career Opportunities In Social Entrepreneurship
Social entrepreneurship is not so much a career as it is a calling. It can be a driving vision that compels one to dedicate his life to a particular social purpose.
The following are the most recent opportunities for social entrepreneurs to build a career and make an impact.