The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, by the Hungarian Government is offering international students the opportunity to undergo study of all types in Hungary for free. The core mission of the programme is to increase the number…
Studying in Hungary – what it entails
Hungary is one of the European countries not widely recognized for international studies. Although a little country, it is a beautiful, safe and friendly environment. There are many top quality schools one can enroll in, for either the undergraduate or postgraduate studies.
Generally, the Hungarians do not use Euro as their official currency. Their official currency is called Forint (Ft). one Euro is about 300 forints. In Hungary, foreign students are given special discounts in almost everything, transportation, restaurants, sports, cinemas, and so on. In a nutshell, the living cost for foreign students in Hungary is very adequate.
There are scholarships made available by the Hungarian government for international students. However, on the average, a student is expected to pay between $5,500 and $15,000 for tuition and an examination fee of about $500. Living cost is solely dependent on your location. Nevertheless, you should budget about $7,200 for accommodation, feeding, travel and so on.
The official language is Hungarian, however, students are mostly taught in English.
Top Scholarships around the World for Students from Hungary
- The American Hungarian Folklore Centrum (AHFC)
The AHFC is a division of the American Hungarian Educators’ Association that organizes the biennial Hungarian Folkdance Ensemble and the Eletfa Folk Music Ensemble for the Hungarian musicians and dancers. In return, they provide scholarships to talented Hungarian youths to attend a university in the United States.
- Hungarian Ancestry Students’ Scholarship at Wright University
The award is for students from Hungary to study at Wright University in Ohio.
The benefit of the scholarship is an award of between $500 and $1000.
- To qualify, applicants must write an essay, stating their academic and professional goals.
- Proof of Hungarian ancestry is required.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 3.0.
- The American Hungarian Coalition
The coalition offers two scholarships for Hungarian citizens:
- Elemer and Eva Kiss Scholarship
The average scholarship is $1000 per annum.
The applicants must have been admitted into a United State college or university as a full-time student to qualify.
- Congressional Internship Program
This allows young students from English-speaking Hungary and neighbouring countries to get acquainted with the workings of US Congress and to motivate them for public service. The grant covers living expenses and local transportation expenses in the Washington DC for the duration not exceeding four months.
- Fully-funded Erasmus Mundus SUNBEAM Programme at Partner University
The scholarship is provided for postdoctoral students. The students must have graduated at least one year prior to the period of the scholarship application.
The scholarship covers subsistence costs (accommodation, transportation, food, conferences, books, insurance, participation costs and so on) at the host university.
The award must take place in one of the partner universities of the SUNBEAM project.
- Fullbright-American Hungarian Foundation Research Grant in USA
The aim of the grant is to enhance the mutual understanding between Hungary and America and to foster bilateral relations. The grants are available to pursue research programmes for PhD /DLA students. In addition, applicants must have a very good command of English.
The value of the scholarship is $3.035 per month.
- The ISRF Independent Scholar Research Fellowship Competition in UK
The Independent Social Research Fund (ISRF) is dedicated to advancing the social sciences through the promotion of new modes of inquiry and development of interdisciplinary experts. The application is available for applicants from European countries. Applicants must hold a PhD to qualify.
The award of the scholarship is valued at a maximum of £25,000.
- Haaga-Helia Funding for Bachelor’s and Master’s Programmes in Finland
Applicants from EU and EEA countries are invited for the Haaga-Helia scholarship to pursue bachelor’s or master’s programme.
The award of the scholarship is valued at 20% of the tuition fees if the applicant meets the requirements of 55 completed ECTS credits during two consecutive semesters.
Scholarships available for Hungarian Students in Hungary
- Government of Hungary Scholarships
The government of Hungary calls for the application of the Government of Hungary Scholarship. This is in partnership with the FAO. The scholarship is designed for Master’s programme.
The scholarship is fully funded, covering the tuition fee, books, accommodation, subsistence costs and health insurance.
- Students must offer either of the following courses: Animal Husbandry, Engineering, Agricultural Water Management Engineering, and Environmental Engineering.
- Eligible students must be from Hungary and some selected countries.
- Candidates must be below 30.
- The English requirements must be met by the candidates.
- International Research Scholarships at Institute of Advanced Studies in Hungary
The students who wish to participate in the work of research are invited to study at the Institute of Advanced Studies in Kszeg.
The scholarship award is valued at €1,200.
- The application is open for students of all nationalities.
- The students must be currently enrolled in the University of Pannonia, Kszeg Campus.
- Students must be with a BA in the Humanities or Social Sciences.
- Students must meet the English requirements.
Top Universities in Hungary
- University of Debrecen.
- Eotvos Lorand University, Budapest
- University of Szeged
- University of Pecs
- Corvinus University of Budapest
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Budapest Metropolitan University
- Kodolanyi Janos University College
- National Public Service University.
- Obuda University.
Kenyan students will benefit from a total of 50 scholarships from Hungary annually for a period of three years starting 2015 to 2017. This follows an agreement that the Government of Kenya, through the Ministry of Education, has struck…