Goi Peace Foundation/UNESCO 20th Anniversary Essay Contest 2019 for Young Leaders
The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO are offering International Essay Contest for young people around the world.
Application Deadline: 15th June, 2019
Offered Annually: Yes
About the Award: This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
“Creating a Society Full of Kindness”
What does “Kindness” mean to you? How do you think we can create a kinder society?
Carry out ten acts of kindness, and then use your experience as inspiration in writing your essay (your essay does not need to be about your acts of kindness).
As a special edition, this year’s contest involves action in addition to writing, so that participating in the contest directly contributes to creating a better world. Please note, however, that only the essay itself will be considered in the selection process.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following age categories:
- a) Children (ages up to 14)
- b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Essays must have a cover page indicating:
- (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) Your essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2018 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Please note that the organizer is unable to confirm receipt of essays or answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.\
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer
Value of Award: The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of February 2019) and gift … 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of February 2019) and gift … 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.
* We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
How to Submit Essay: Please send your entries to:
International Essay Contest
c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku,
Send online: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page and follow the required steps.
For inquiries, please contact email@example.com