The Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO are offering International Essay Contest for young people around the world.
Application Deadline: 15th June, 2023
Offered Annually: Yes
About the Award: This annual essay contest is organized to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
Essay Theme: “Youth Creating a Peaceful Future”
What does a peaceful world look like to you? How can young people work together, using creative ideas and approaches to realize a peaceful future? Please share your specific ideas.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2023) in one of the following age categories:
- a) Children (ages up to 14)
- b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Essays must have a cover page indicating:
- (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) Your essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2020 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Please note that the organizer cannot confirm receipt of essays or answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer
Value of Award: The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of March 2022) and gift … 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of March 2022) and gift … 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift … 25 entrants
* 1st to 3rd prize winners will be invited to the Winners Gathering to be held online.
* Additional awards (Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2021 (Japan time) on this website. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2021.
* We are unable to answer individual inquiries concerning contest results.
How to Submit Essay: Entries must be submitted online. To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page, and follow the required steps. Entries submitted by postal mail or e-mail are not accepted.
For inquiries, please get in touch with [email protected]
Visit Program Webpage for details