TWAS─Samira Omar Innovation for Sustainability Award 2021 for Scientists from Developing Countries
This new annual prize, named after the TWAS Fellow Samira Omar, will recognize scientists from Least Developed Countries (LDCs). It carries a cash award of USD4,000 generously provided by Professor Omar. The 2021 award will honour a woman scientist working in an area relevant to sustainability.
Application Deadline: 12th May 2021
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo Dem. Rep., Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Haiti, Kiribati, Lao PDR, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, São Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.
About the Award: Our planet, and therefore our existence, faces several challenges: world population, food security, climate change, biodiversity loss, water scarcity/poor sanitation, energy resources. Sustainability involves considering the relationship between the finite resources of the planet and the way of life adopted by humans: in what way can our existence be maintained and at what level?
Eligibility: The 2021 award will be awarded to a scientist national of a LDC, living and working in a LDC during the last two years immediately prior to her nomination, based on scientific achievements in any of the thematic areas below:
– Clean and renewable energy
– Green chemistry
– Sustainable agriculture and agrobiodiversity
– Plastic: degradation, pollution and microplastics
– Water purification and sanitation
– Climate change: environmental effects, methane contribution, carbon capture
– Transportation technologies: efficiency for smart cities
– Waste management
– Biodiversity: the sixth mass extinction, ecosystem services, habitat recovery and restoration
– Ecological economics and planetary health
Fellows of TWAS are not eligible
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: USD4,000
How to Apply: Interested nominators/candidates are to complete the Application Form electronically (See in Program Webpage Link below), by 12 May 2021.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.