Wellcome Trust International Intermediate Fellowships 2021 for Developing Countries – UK
Wellcome Trust is offering fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine to mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries. Wellcome Trust also offers fellowships for Training, Masters and Senior Researchers.
Application Deadline: The preliminary application deadline is 7th April 2021, 17:00 BST and full application deadline is 29th June 2021.
Eligible Countries: Low- and middle-income countries
To be taken at (country): Fellowships can be taken in Low- and middle-income countries (See list of countries below)
Fields of Study: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.
About the Award: This scheme helps mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries establish independent research programmes in those countries. The scheme aims to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level.
Type: Research (Intermediate career stage)
Eligibility: Students can apply for an Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine if they:
- Are a national of a low- or middle-income country
- Have a PhD or a degree in medicine and are qualified to enter higher specialist training
- Have three to six years research experience.
- you have made important contributions to your area of research eg publications, patents, software development or an impact on health policy or practice.
- Students that do not have a PhD or degree in medicine, Welcome Trust may still be considered if they have a first or Master’s degree and can show substantial research experience.
Students must also:
- Have a strong track record in your area of research and show the potential to become a scientific leader
- Have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country
- Have a research proposal that is within the public health and tropical medicine remit.
- your research contributions
- the scientific merit of your proposed project
- the significance of the research
- the feasibility of your proposal
- the suitability of your sponsor and host environment for both your research and for the development of your independent career.
By the end of this fellowship you should:
- have achieved international standing in your area of research
- be leading your own research programme
- have the skills and experience to apply for senior level fellowships or permanent positions at a research organisation.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship: Support includes:
- A basic salary (determined by your host organisation)
- Personal removal expenses
- Research expenses, directly related to your proposal
Scholarship can be taken in Low- and middle-income countries
Duration of Fellowship: An Intermediate Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine is for up to five years and cannot be renewed. An Intermediate Fellowship can be held on a part-time basis.
List of Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe
How to Apply: Applicants must submit their application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).