Masters and PhD Commonwealth Scholarships in UK for Mauritius Students 2013
Scholarship Name: Mauritian Students Commonwealth Scholarships UK
Commonwealth Scholarships for Masters and PhD Students from Mauritius to study in UK 2013
Accepted Subject Areas?
- Economic growth and the Private Sector
- Governance & Conflict
- Climate and Environment
- Water and Sanitation
- Food and Nutrition
- Humanitarian Disasters and Emergencies
Applications are invited from qualified Mauritian candidates for the award of two Commonwealth Scholarships, one male and one female, tenable in the UK as from October 2013 under the above-mentioned programme in the following categories:
(i) A full time one year taught Master’s Programme;
(ii) a PhD of up to three years duration. Candidates wishing to undertake extensive periods of fieldwork in Mauritius may also apply;
(iii) 12 months’ non-degree study in the UK on a Split-Site basis to help with the completion of a doctoral degree undertaken at a University in Mauritius (The split-site is only tenable in the context of a departmental/institutional link with a UK University).
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
Scholarship Type: Masters and PhD Scholarship
By what Criteria is Selection Made?
- Academic merit;
- Likely development impact that candidates will have after their award; and
- Quality of candidate’s study/research plan.
- The awards are not intended for applicants wishing to study for a Second Master’s degree or a second doctorate programme
- Preference will be given to applications that are demonstrably linked to the development priorities of the country. Such links should be made explicit in the candidate’s write-up accompanying the application.
Who is qualified to apply?
For a Master’s Degree
- SC/GCE ‘O’ level with credits in at least five subjects including English Language at one and the same sitting;
- HSC/GCE ‘A’ Level with three subjects at Principal level or equivalent qualification obtained at one and the same sitting; and
- A first degree of at least Upper Second Class Honours level or equivalent.
- HSC/GCE ‘A’ Level with three subjects at Principal level or equivalent qualification obtained at one and the same sitting.
- A first degree of at least Second Class Honours level or equivalent; and
- A relevant Master’s degree or equivalent.
How Many Funding Positions are available? Two
What are the benefits?
How long will sponsorship last? For the duration of the programme
Eligible African Countries
To be taken at (Institution): UK Universities
Application Ends By
The completed forms along with all supporting documents should be submitted to the Scholarships Section of the Ministry by Tuesday 6 November 2012 at 14 00 hours at latest.
Offered annually? Yes
How can I Apply?
Applications must be made:
(i) on the prescribed form available at the Scholarships Section, Ministry of Education and Human Resources, 1st Floor, MITD House, Phoenix, or
(ii) downloaded from the Ministry’s website: http://ministry-education.gov.mu
(iii) Applicants may also submit applications on-line on the following website: http://citizen.gov.mu
However, applicants should submit certified copies of all supporting documents after application for the scholarship online, which should not be later than the closing date specified below.
How can I get more information?
If you need more Information about this scholarship, kindly visit the Scholarship Webpage (PDF)
Government of Mauritius
- Candidates opting for a Master’s or doctoral study should submit their detailed study/research plan (of about 750 words for masters and 1500 words for PhD) along with their application;
- Candidates applying for doctoral studies will be expected to provide evidence of support from a prospective supervisor in at least one of their chosen institutions at the time of the application;
- Candidates for a split-site basis, will have to provide evidence of support from their prospective Supervisor at the UK Institution as well as from their home supervisor at the time of application;
- Candidates close to completing a doctorate in Mauritius are not eligible for this award.