DAAD Scholarships Within East Africa 2022/2023 for Postgraduate African Students
DAAD Scholarships Within East Africa 2022/2023: The DAAD , Regional Director wishes to inform all staff and students that the call for Applications for the 2022 In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme for Eastern Africa is now open!
Application Deadline: 15th December 2021.
About the Award:
The objective of this DAAD Scholarships Within East Africa programme is to promote the development of university teaching staff in universities and build capacity for staff in the public sector through postgraduate training in selected postgraduate study programmes at the institutions listed below.
This programme strongly encourages mobility of Sub-Saharan Africans to study in host institutions within the Eastern Africa region. There are 13 participating host institutions in the Eastern African Region. Check the links below to the host countries, programmes funded, the link to the specific call for scholarship application and the links to the host institutions.
We strongly recommend applicants to apply to institutions outside their home countries.
Type: Masters, PhD
Applicants must meet the following DAAD criteria:
- have successfully completed generally a three-year Bachelor’s degree (Master candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- have successfully completed generally a two-year university Master’s degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (at least: Second Class/Upper Division if applicable)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Sahara African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector and/or d) Alumni of the DAFI-programme
Refer to the Call for Scholarship Applications 2022 for additional requirements and documents to be submitted.
Eligible Countries: The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree (Master’s courses) or a Master’s degree (PhD courses), either
- in their home country (In-Country scholarships are aimed at students who study in their home country or in the country for which they have a residence permit.)
- in another Sub-Sahara African country (In-Region scholarships are aimed at students who want to participate in a study programme in a country of their home.
To be Taken at (Country): The scholarship is open to citizens and permanent residents of sub-Saharan Africa to study in selected institutions outside their home country.
Number of Awards: Numerous
Value of Award:
- University tuition fees
- research allowance (once a year)
- monthly stipend
- travel allowance (in-region only)
- health insurance (in-region only)
- and the possibility of a study visit of up to 6 months to Germany within the period of the scholarship.
Duration of Award: The duration of the Master programme is generally two years and for PhD programme is generally three years (regular period of studies). Please check with the selected host institutions the exact start dates of the programme.
How to Apply: The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the DAAD application deadline as well as host institution’s deadline.
Applicants must first apply for the scholarship via the DAAD portal. Applicants are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit a DAAD application. Please refer to the Call for Application 2022 for the specific link to the funding programme in the DAAD portal.
Parallel to this process, applicants must at the same time apply for admission at the selected host institution using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. The host institution/universities have set their own deadlines. Please inform yourself about the respective admission processes and deadlines at the host institution. Reach out to the institution’s website or contact person at the host institution for more information.
More information on how to register via the DAAD portal can be found here.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.