World Bank/MIGA/IFC Young Professionals Program 2022 for Young Professionals
Application Deadline: 20th September 2021
About the Award: The new program is now accepting applications on behalf of three institutions (the World Bank, IFC and MIGA). Building on the rich legacy of its predecessor programs, the WBG YPP will recruit and develop future leaders to collaborate effectively across our institutions on joint WBG solutions to development challenges.
Young Professionals are recruited from around the world, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries and countries of operations. We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply.
Eligibility: We welcome all qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Born on or after October 1, 1988
- Master’s or doctoral degree*
- Specialization in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level**
- Fluency in English
- The Banks Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
*Graduate degree requirements vary by institution:
For WB placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by June 30, 2021 or a PhD before September 2021.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree (ex: Master of Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, Science, and Engineering) before September 2021.
**Professional experience requirements vary by institution:
For WB placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement and team leadership skills
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Selection Criteria: We are looking for applicants who demonstrate a passion for international development, graduate education, relevant professional experience, and the potential to grow into impactful leadership roles across our institutions.
Eligible Countries: World Bank member countries
To be Taken at: World Bank, IFC or MIGA
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value & Duration of Award: YPs are offered a competitive salary and benefits package as part of a 5-year term contract. Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines.
The World Bank/MIGA/IFC Young Professionals Program 2022 is a two-year leadership development program at the start of a five-year employment contract with the World Bank, IFC or MIGA. As part of the two-year curriculum, YPs undertake rotational assignments within their host organization, another WBG institution and/or a field office, where they gain valuable hands-on experience in different areas of our business. WBG YPs make significant contributions to their host unit’s work program, while building networks and knowledge of our policies and operations –on the job and in the classroom.
Young Professionals are likely to join colleagues on business trips to the field, also called ‘missions.’ These missions allow YPs to work on the frontlines of global development, learning key aspects of our work while directly engaging with clients in developing countries. In addition, as part of the WBG YPP curriculum, YPs are encouraged to take rotations in the field.
The WBG YPP curriculum has been designed to ensure that YPs develop a WBG mindset, the foundational knowledge to understand and contribute to our business and the competencies required for leadership development: collaboration, team-building, integrative thinking, innovation, and continuous learning.
The curriculum includes a blend of learning activities, in cohort, small group and individual settings, both online and in-person. Activities range from leadership training and career development workshops to networking, mentorship and conversations with WBG leadership.
How to Apply for the World Bank/MIGA/IFC Young Professionals Program: Applications for the inaugural WBG YPP cohort will open from June 1 – June 30 for all profiles and will reopen from August 16 – September 20 for IFC and MIGA profiles only.
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must submit:
- Academic Transcripts*
- 1 Short Essay
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates only)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations**
*Transcripts should display an expected graduation date, if currently enrolled.
**Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage.
In 6,000 characters or less, please describe:
- Why you are interested in the WBG YPP and in your preferred institution (IBRD, IFC or MIGA);
- Why you are the right person for the role; and
- How your preferred institution, and the WBG as a whole, should support our clients to contain the impact of COVID-19, working towards a green, resilient, and inclusive recovery
The World Bank Group is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments. To ensure the safety of our current and prospective staff, the 2022 YPP interviews will be conducted virtually. Activities may include:
- An assessment center, where you will be asked to participate in individual and group exercises
- Timed computer-based financial tests
Applicants who are invited to interview will be provided with more detail as the process moves along.