Trilateral Chair PhDs Scholarships at the Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology (JOOUST) 2020
1 PhD scholarship in Transformative Innovation, the 4th Industrial Revolution and Sustainable Development (2020)
Application Deadline: 26th July 2020
About the Award: The Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science and Technology (JOOUST) in collaboration with the African Network for the Economics of Learning, Innovation, and Competence Building Systems (AfricaLics), currently based at the African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS), Nairobi is offering ONE (1) fully funded PhD scholarship. This scholarship falls within a 5-year trilateral research programme on Transformative Innovation, the 4th Industrial Revolution and Sustainable Development that is funded by the South African National Research Foundation and the British Council, United Kingdom. The Programme is a partnership between the University of Johannesburg (UJ), South Africa, ACTS and the Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at the University of Sussex in the UK. It seeks to strengthen African scholarship on transformative innovation and policy in the context of the 4th industrial revolution and efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The PhD project will support the programme’s agenda.
Type: Postgraduate Research
- Be a holder of a Masters in Agriculture, Environment, Energy, Information Communication and Technology (ICT), Business Management, Entrepreneurship, Sociology, Public Administration, Engineering, Technology Management, Bio Economy (Biotechnology, Nanotechnology etc.), Sustainable Development, Science and Technology Policy or related discipline from recognized Universities across Africa. The applicant MUST demonstrate experience in sustainable development and innovation, and deep knowledge of an African context. Preference will be given to applicants with interdisciplinary Masters in relevant fields: e.g. Innovation Studies, Development Studies, etc.
- Fulfill specific requirements including course work as maybe stipulated by the respective Department, School/Institute with regard to the field of study.
- The research proposal must demonstrate interdisciplinary methodological skills.
- Only applicants from Kenya are eligible.
Eligible Countries: Kenya
To be Taken at (Country): The award falls under the School of Informatics and Innovative Studies (SIIS), JOOUST, Kenya
Number of Awards: 1
Value & Duration of Award:
- The JOOUST -based candidate will receive a full scholarship to cover their tuition fees and basic living expenses as per the Universities policies. Students will have to be registered as full-time in order to receive the full studentship.
- Doctoral degree studies require a minimum of three years and a maximum of four years registration for full-time studies.
How to Apply:
Applications should be sent by email to Dr Ann Kingiri ([email protected]) and Dr. Calleb Olweny at [email protected] by 26 July 2020. Please mark the subject as “Trilateral Chair PhD scholarship application”.
Please provide the following, compiled into one PDF document
- A one-page covering letter explaining the applicant’s motivation for pursuing this PhD. Please indicate which JOOUST faculty member or approved visiting academics/Professor might supervise the PhD and whether they have been contacted about this.
- Candidate’s CV.
- A recommendation letter (may be from a supervisor and/or a senior professional in a relevant field).
- A short proposal (maximum 10 pages) describing the candidate’s proposed PhD research. Proposals will be selected on the basis of the alignment of the proposed research with the theme of this Call. See below for guidance on the proposal structure.
We welcome applications from suitably qualified people, regardless of ethnicity, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.