EDCTP Career Development Fellowships in poverty-related diseases and child and adolescent health 2020 for Early to Mid-career African Researchers
The purpose of this Call for Proposals is to support early- to mid-career researchers (“fellows”) by providing them with opportunities to train and develop their clinical research skills.
Application Deadline: 5th August 2020, 17:00
Call identifier: TMA2020CDF
About the Award: For many young scientists in developing countries the transition from doctoral qualification to becoming an established, independent researcher is very difficult due to a lack of sustainable research funding and limited access to established research networks. As research in the field of poverty related diseases (PRDs) gains momentum, it is paramount to facilitate opportunities for early and mid-career scientists in sub-Saharan Africa to develop their clinical research skills. Providing possibilities for individual training would enable talented scientists to establish themselves as independent researchers and team leaders at host institutions in sub-Saharan Africa for long-term continuity, networking and research ownership in the region for fighting PRDs, including areas that lack enough trained researchers, such as maternal, child and adolescent health (MCAH). In the next 10 years it is essential for researchers in sub-Saharan Africa to establish centres of excellence in research for MCAH. These require trained personnel in this health area and well-equipped centres.
A proposal/application will only be considered eligible if:
- its content corresponds, wholly or in part, to the topic/contest description for which it is submitted
- it complies with the eligibility conditions for participation set out below, depending on the type of action:
- The applicant must be a legal entity established in sub-Saharan Africa (the applicant legal entity)**.
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the host organisation) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant.
- The applying fellow must:
- be a resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country;
- be either a graduate in a subject relevant to the EDCTP2 programme, with a PhD and up to five years’ relevant postdoctoral research experience, or a medical doctor with up to five years’ research experience;
- have at least one publication in an international peer-reviewed journal;
- not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before***.
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan Africa.
Number of Awards: 16-25
Value of Award: The requested EDCTP2 contribution per action shall not exceed EUR 150,000.
Duration of Award: The maximum fellowship duration shall be 36 months.
How to Apply: GO TO EDCTPGRANTS
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.