African Union Kwame Nkrumah Regional Scientific Awards for Women 2018
COMESA in partnership with the African Union is implementing the 2017 Edition of the Kwame Nkrumah Regional Scientific Awards for Women.
Award Name: African Union Kwame Nkrumah Scientific Continental and Regional Awards 2017
Application Deadline: 31st October, 2017. For the National awards kindly contact National Academy of Science or National Research Councils.
Offered annually? Yes
To be taken at: Next Heads of States and Government Summit in January 2018.
Eligible Fields of Research: Prizes are awarded to top African scientists in each of the following two sectors (a) Life and Earth Science; and (b) Basic Science, Technology and Innovation.
About Award: The award is designed to promote the participation of women in science and technology across the continent. In addition, the award programme contributes to the promotion of Africa and regional development and integration through science, technology and innovation.
One award per each of the following scientific sector shall be given out at each level:
a) Life and Earth Sciences; and
b) Basic Science, Technology and Innovation
Additionally, the African Union Commission in collaboration with National Academy of Science will award the National Young Scientists Award of USD2,000 to outstanding young scientists.
This programme is implemented in three levels as below:
1. The Continental Award is open to all African scientists and is the highest level of the programme. It is implemented by the African Union Commission. The two successful winners of the award each receives the current prize of 100,000USD during the Heads of States and Government Summit in January 2017.
2. The Regional Award level is implemented in partnership with the Regional Economic Communities (RECs). It is aims at promoting the participation of African women in Science, Technology and innovation. The two winners per region receive a prize of 20,000USD each. For the applications, kindly contact the implementation RECs as outlined in the rules of procedure.
3. The National Young Scientists Award is implemented by Member States who have signed an Implementation Agreement with the AU Commission and its implementation partner TWAS. At the national level, the programme is implemented through National Academy of Science or National Research Councils. This award is intended for young scientists both men and women (Aged not more than forty (40) by 31 December of the year of organization of the Award). Two winners per country receive a prize of 2,000USD each for the 2017 edition.
Offered Since: 2008
Eligibility: The African Union Scientific Awards will be awarded to African scientists who have remarkable achievements applicable to the prevalent challenges in Africa.
Value of the Award: The value of the African Union Women Scientists Regional Award shall be US$20,000 (Twenty thousand US Dollars conferred by the African Union Commission on two award winners.
- Central African Region: Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Congo (DRC), Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Sao Tome & Principe.
- Eastern Region: Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
- Northern Region: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Tunisia, SADR.
- Southern Region: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Western Region: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
How can I get more information?
If you need more Information about this scholarship, kindly visit the Program Webpage
Sponsors: African Union Commission
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
5 Signs You Are Living Above Your Means
10 Warning Signs You Need to Change Career
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat