OFID/ OPEC Masters Scholarship for Students from Developing Countries – 2011-2012
Scholarship Name: OFID (The OPEC Fund for International Development) Scholarship Award 2011/2012
Call for Applications for qualified Undergraduate students from OPEC Developing Countries to apply Masters Award for the OFID Scholarship 2011/2012
Accepted Subject Areas?
Any relevant field of development
The OFID (The OPEC Fund for International Development) calls for application for qualified undergraduate students to apply for the OFID Scholarship 2011/2012. The OFID Scholarship will be awarded to support an undergraduate student from any developing country, to pursue higher education in a relevant field of development, in any recognized university/college in the world. Through its scholarship scheme, OFID aims to help highly motivated, highly driven individuals overcome one of the biggest challenges to their careers – the cost of advanced professional or graduate training.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
By what Criteria is Selection Made?
Applications will be evaluated based on the information provided. Therefore, all questions in the application document should be answered as thoroughly as possible.
Who is qualified to apply?
To be eligible the candidate must meet ALL of the following criteria: :
- Must be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting his/her application.
- Must be a graduating student with a Baccalaureate from a four-year, accredited college/university, or its equivalent.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Must be matriculated at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting September 2011, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the Masters Degree.
- Must be a national of a developing country (please see list of eligible countries)
- Must select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as: economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
How Many Scholarships are available? One
What are the benefits?
The winner of the OFID Award will receive a scholarship of up to US$100,000
The funds will be spread over a maximum of two years, toward the completion of a Master’s degree, or its equivalent, at an accredited educational institution, starting in the autumn of the academic year 2011/12.
How long will sponsorship last?
Scholarship will last for the duration of the degree programmes
Eligible African Countries
* In addition to nationals of OFID Member States, nationals of the following countries are also eligible:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burundi, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d`lvoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome& Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Asia and the Middle East:
Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Korea DR, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tonga, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
Latin America and the Caribbean:
Antigua Barbuda , Belize, Barbados, Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Grenada, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guyana, Haiti, , Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Panama, St. Christopher, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Albania , Bosnia Herzegovina
To be taken at (country): any recognized university/college in the world
What time of year does Application Close?
Application deadline is May 27, 2011.
Offered annually? Yes
How can I Apply?
Applicants must complete the Online Application Form and essay requirement, and must email the required materials to OFID’s email address provided below. All materials including the on-line application, recommendations, and other required information must be received no later than the application deadline stated above.
The OPEC Fund for International Development
How can I get more information?
If you need more Information about this scholarship, kindly visit the Scholarship Webpage
Please note that only the winner will be notified.
All materials submitted become the property of OFID and will not be returned to the applicant.
Applicants should submit required documents via scholarship[at]ofid.org
Be sure to read further details from the link above.
- A completed on-line application form.
- A scanned copy of the last university degree or certificate.
- A scanned letter of acceptance from your chosen educational institution, confirming your admission, subject of study and duration of the Master’s degree program (must not exceed a maximum of two years).
- A proof of meeting any prerequisites, including language proficiency.
- A short essay – of about 250 words in English – giving reasons for applying for OFID’s scholarship, explaining your educational goals, and clearly describing how you will use the experience gained from your Masters degree studies to help in the development of your home country.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors and/or lecturers at applicant’s present university.