International Council of Museums (ICOM) Exchange Programme 2020 for Museum Professionals (Africa – Germany)
ICOM, ICOM-Germany, ICOM Zambia and the Museum of European Cultures – National Museums in Berlin (MEK) invite museum professionals from English-speaking African countries to apply for a month-long study visit that will take place in Berlin, Germany in spring/summer 2020.
Application Deadline: 8th March 2020
Eligible Countries: English-speaking African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Berlin, Germany
About the Award: The exchange programme is based on the idea of mutual learning and professional dialogue to the benefit of both parties involved. It is designed to respond to the professional needs and wishes of the participant or his/her institution related to conservation and storage methods. It also allows for extensive and mutual knowledge exchange between the participant and German museum professionals.
For the second part of the programme a museum professional from Germany will collaborate on site with a museum in Zambia (2021).
The participant will also have the opportunity to collaborate on an exhibition project and propose new ways to interpret the European collections on display at MEK from her/his particular perspective.
Type: Short course
Eligibility: To apply to this programme, museum professionals from English-speaking Africa must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a curatorial or research position (at any level) in a recognised museum of an English-speaking African country;
- Be member of ICOM;
- Be no more than 45 years of age;
- Be fluent in English and/or German;
- Have an interest in the topic of the exhibition (European cultural encounters illustrated by objects of everyday life from the 18th c. to today).
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: The programme will take place in Berlin in spring/summer 2020 and will cover the cost for flight tickets, visa, accommodation, daily allowance and transportation in Germany for the different visits and activities. The successful candidate must be committed to participating in all activities and to complete the full programme.
Duration of Award: 1 month
How to Apply: Applications must be accompanied by the following documents in English:
- A motivation letter including the areas of interest the applicant would like to discuss and learn during his/her study visit, and his/her ideas on how to collaborate on the exhibition (see link) IMPORTANT: please do not forget to include these two points in your letter of motivation.
- A Curriculum Vitae including education, training, work experience, publications and current work responsibilities (three pages maximum);
- A letter of recommendation signed by the director of the museum where the applicant is currently working;
- Proof of payment of 2019 or 2020 membership fees (copy of the card with 2019 or 2020 sticker or official document from the National Committee);
- A copy of the first page of the passport. IMPORTANT: Your passport must be valid at least until 30 April 2021.
All applications should be submitted by filling in the online form before midnight (CET+1), 8 March 2020.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It