Vrije University PhD Scholarships on New Methods and Perspectives on African Migration 2020 (Fully-funded)
Job offer for fulltime PhD scholarship on the subject of New Methods and Perspectives on African Migration.
Application Deadline: 15th February 2020
To be Taken at (Country): Interface Demography, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium.
About the Award: The group expects you to prepare a doctoral dissertation under the supervision of Prof. Tuba Bircan and Prof. Sylvie Gadeyne in the fields of Sociology, in which you
- develop and work on case studies to map and monitor voluntary and involuntary migration within and from Africa with satellite imagery
- pay special attention to refugee camps to identify changes over time and to observe the growth and decline of refugee numbers
- analyse the drivers of migration with a specific focus on environmental factors and epidemic dynamics in Africa
- assess the use of satellite imagery for humanitarian aid
- For your PhD you make use of remote sensing, machine learning algorithms and quantitative methods
- You are expected to support the teaching staff in their educational tasks (max. 10% of your time)
- Master in Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, Geography, AI or social sciences with a strong quantitative focus (High study grades are recommended)
- Solid hands-on experience with R and/or Phyton programming and statistical software (i.e. STATA, SPSS, etc.) and advanced statistical modeling is a must
- Familiarity and/or technical knowledge of Big Data tools and machine learning algorithms (Hadoop, Spark, Mahout)
- Interest in remote sensing and space data
- Great affinity with social and global issues, in particular migration/human mobility
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Proficiency in English is a must
- Female candidates and members of ethnic minority or refugee groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: A 4-years fulltime PhD-scholarship, renewable on a yearly basis
• A monthly scholarship depending on the academic work experience.
• Full reimbursement of (public transport) commuting expenses in Belgium.
• A dynamic and stimulating research environment.
Duration of Award: 4 years. – Suggested (but not fixed) starting date: May 2020
How to Apply: Job interviews will take place during the first week of March 2020 at the Campus Etterbeek of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (virtual Skype participation is also a possibility for international candidates)
• Your application must at least include the following attachments:
- A brief curriculum vitae
- A concise statement of the reason for applying
- A copy of your master thesis
- A copy of your detailed study results (and if already available a copy of your master diploma)
• Your application should be written in English
• Apply by sending an e-mail to both Prof. Tuba Bircan and Prof. Sylvie Gadeyne
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It