Vrije University PhD Scholarships on New Methods and Perspectives on African Migration 2020 (Fully-funded)
Job offer for fulltime PhD scholarship on the subject of New Methods and Perspectives on African Migration.
Application Deadline: 15th February 2020
To be Taken at (Country): Interface Demography, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium.
About the Award: The group expects you to prepare a doctoral dissertation under the supervision of Prof. Tuba Bircan and Prof. Sylvie Gadeyne in the fields of Sociology, in which you
- develop and work on case studies to map and monitor voluntary and involuntary migration within and from Africa with satellite imagery
- pay special attention to refugee camps to identify changes over time and to observe the growth and decline of refugee numbers
- analyse the drivers of migration with a specific focus on environmental factors and epidemic dynamics in Africa
- assess the use of satellite imagery for humanitarian aid
- For your PhD you make use of remote sensing, machine learning algorithms and quantitative methods
- You are expected to support the teaching staff in their educational tasks (max. 10% of your time)
- Master in Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, Geography, AI or social sciences with a strong quantitative focus (High study grades are recommended)
- Solid hands-on experience with R and/or Phyton programming and statistical software (i.e. STATA, SPSS, etc.) and advanced statistical modeling is a must
- Familiarity and/or technical knowledge of Big Data tools and machine learning algorithms (Hadoop, Spark, Mahout)
- Interest in remote sensing and space data
- Great affinity with social and global issues, in particular migration/human mobility
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Proficiency in English is a must
- Female candidates and members of ethnic minority or refugee groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: A 4-years fulltime PhD-scholarship, renewable on a yearly basis
• A monthly scholarship depending on the academic work experience.
• Full reimbursement of (public transport) commuting expenses in Belgium.
• A dynamic and stimulating research environment.
Duration of Award: 4 years. – Suggested (but not fixed) starting date: May 2020
How to Apply: Job interviews will take place during the first week of March 2020 at the Campus Etterbeek of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (virtual Skype participation is also a possibility for international candidates)
• Your application must at least include the following attachments:
- A brief curriculum vitae
- A concise statement of the reason for applying
- A copy of your master thesis
- A copy of your detailed study results (and if already available a copy of your master diploma)
• Your application should be written in English
• Apply by sending an e-mail to both Prof. Tuba Bircan and Prof. Sylvie Gadeyne