The Network of Emerging Women (NEW) in Politics Program 2020 for African Women
Are you actively engaged in your political party? Do you see yourself as a rising political star in your country? Are you planning to run for office? Do you want to win an election? If all these apply to you, then the NEW Politics program is the right opportunity for you.
Application Deadline: 3rd January 2020
Eligible Countries: Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, or Sierra Leone.
About the Award: The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is launching The Network of Emerging Women (NEW) in Politics program to prepare young women to step into leadership roles and cultivate the skills needed to conduct successful electoral campaigns and win elections. The NEW Politics program will offer a series of workshops, mentorship, and networking opportunities over a six-month period to enable young women to better participate in the political process.
The program comprises three phases:
- The NEW Politics Bootcamp will focus on building the leadership and political organizing skills necessary to rise through the ranks within political parties, such as public speaking, developing a campaign, messaging, targeted fundraising, and networking.
- A series of four advanced training modules will focus on developing advanced skills such as communication; policy development and advocacy; mobilization, recruitment, and voter outreach; and fundraising, budgeting, and resource development.
- Capstone Projects will provide participants, individually or in small groups, an opportunity to design a final project that showcases their skillsets or steps-down these skills to other young women.
Eligibility: We are looking for young women with political experience who want to be change leaders in their country. Applicants should meet the following qualifications:
- Between 18 and 35 years old.
- Citizens of Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, or Sierra Leone.
- Fluent in either French or English (both languages not required).
- Have some previous political experience such as working on a political campaign, within a political party, or membership in a university political group.
- Able to obtain a letter of support from a registered political party or political group.
- Willing to commit to a six-month program that will require travel to a one-week training program outside of the country and regular attendance at monthly workshops in the home country.
- Have a valid passport at the time of their application.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The NEW Politics program is a training, networking, leadership, and training platform. The program will include a week-long boot camp intense training, as well as four advanced training modules focused on developing advanced skills such as communication, policy development, advocacy, mobilization, recruitment and voter outreach, fundraising, budgeting, and resource development.
Duration of Award: 6 months
How to Apply: If you are interested, please submit the application form or the online form in English or French with an endorsement letter from a party leader to the applicable address below. All applications must be received by January 3, 2020.