The Dynamics of Demography, Democratic Processes and Public Policy” (DYNAMICS) Doctoral Research Program 2020 for International PhD Students
The Research Training Group 2458 “The Dynamics of Demography, Democratic Processes and Public Policy” (DYNAMICS) invites applications for 5 Doctoral Researcher Positions.
Application Deadline: 7th January 2020
Eligible Countries: International
To be Taken at (Country): Germany
About the Award: DYNAMICS provides doctoral researchers with a unique and internationally competitive three-year PhD programme in cutting-edge quantitative methods and advanced theories of demography, democracy and public policy. It is a joint endeavour of the Department of Social Sciences at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and the Hertie School and funded by the German Research Foundation. Doctoral positions will start in September 2020 and remuneration is based on Grade E13 TVL (65%) of the German Public Salary Scale.
DYNAMICS studies how demographic changes transform democratic processes, how policy decisions are made to address demographic challenges and how public policies influence demographic developments. Dissertation projects should fall into at least one of the three Research Pillars of the Research Training Group:
1. Demography and democratic processes
2. Demography and public policy
3. Public policy and its effect on demographic behaviour
Eligibility: We are inviting applications by highly qualified graduates from the fields of Political Science, Sociology, Demography, Public Policy or other related Social Sciences who already have a high level of quantitative methods training. Candidates must hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in one of the aforementioned subjects or be very close to completion.
Number of Awards: 5
Value of Award:
- A three-year employment contract with a competitive salary according to salary group E13 TVL (approximately 2500€/month gross), including social security and health insurance
- A comprehensive course programme with a unique combination of advanced theoretical courses, cutting-edge quantitative method skills, an interdisciplinary research seminar and an international lecture series
- Office space in the heart of Berlin, one of Europe’s most exciting cities with an outstanding research environment
- Financial support for conferences, summer schools and research stays abroad
- Additional training in professional development
- Relocation and onboarding support through the DYNAMICS office
Duration of Award: 3 years
How to Apply: Please submit your application including the following materials until 7 January 2020 in one PDF file to [email protected] in the following order:
- Letter of motivation (maximum 1 page)
- 10-page dissertation proposal
- Certificates and transcripts of grades from each academic programme attended so far. MA degree (or equivalent) has to be completed before 31 August.
- Statement of methods skills (maximum 1 page)
- TOEFL Test with score of at least 250 (computer-based) or 600 (paper-based) or 100 (internet-based)
- Two letters of recommendation (must be sent separately as PDF files to [email protected] by the referees)
- Two writing samples
- The name(s) of two potential dissertation advisors
All files must be merged into one single PDF file. The maximum file size is 6 MB.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.