WABES Biodiversity Masters Scholarships 2019/2020 for African Students
As part of its active support to the capacity building mandate of IPBES in the West African region, WABES launches a second call for application to its Master of Science (MSc) on “Managing the Science-Policy Interfaces on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services for Sustainable Development in West Africa – SPIBES”
Application Deadline: 19th August, 2019 (23h 59 CET)
Eligible Countries: West African countries
About the Award: The Master of Science (MSc) in “Managing Science-Policy Interfaces on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services for Sustainable Development in West Africa – SPIBES” is a 2-year interdisciplinary course divided into 4 semesters. SPIBES is designed to provide students with broad, high-quality information and skills needed to facilitate the operation of science-policy interfaces such as the Intergovernmental Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), as a means for achieving sustainable development goals (SDGs) in West Africa.
The course is designed for students that are passionate about the sustainable management of biodiversity and ecosystem services to maintain suitable livelihoods for future generations. This Master’s programme focuses on developing experts that are keen on acting as science-policy managers and sustainability agents, translating scientific knowledge into meaningful and applicable concepts and tools, as well as channelling back policy requirements to the scientific community.
Eligibility: Candidates willing to apply must have:
- Concluded a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in environmental sciences (biology, ecology, climate, economics, law, sociology), or any other relevant discipline.
- Be a national of one of the 15 Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) member countries. Special considerations can be given to other nationals with own funds.
- Should not be older than age 30 years. Exempted from this age limit are those with demonstrated professional activities and/or with children.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The programme offers full scholarship to all successful candidates. The scholarship covers the tuition fees of the two-year Masters programme, and in addition provides a monthly stipend of €350 (~ 220,000 FCFA), as well as a valid health insurance for the duration of the programme.
- A laptop computer and research funds will also be made available to all students. The research funds will be disbursed only upon completion of the 18 course modules and the approval of the research proposal and associated budget by the committee constituted to this effect.
- Students are expected to submit regular progress updates. Any form of misconducts, failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress and non-compliance with the university’s regulation could result in the termination of the scholarship.
- The programme promises a safe and academically challenging environment through highly qualified personnel, quality teaching and research infrastructures, access to online library and journal publications.
- Further, the programme offers strong connections to regional and international biodiversity networks. Furthermore, the successful completion of this post-graduate programme qualifies the graduates to take up lead roles in biodiversity science-policy interfaces, opens opportunity to work in international non-governmental and governmental organisations and/or launch an academic or consultancy career.
Duration of Award: 2 years
How to Apply:
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.