University of Zurich Assistant PhD Position in African History 2019
The Department of History of the University of Zurich, Switzerland, invites applications for a PhD position in «African History (Late 15th – Early 19th Century)».
Application Deadline: 25th September 2019
To be taken at (country): Switzerland
About the Award: The research group lead by Prof Roberto Zaugg wishes to strengthen its connections to African institutions. Candidates who have attended high school in an Africa country or have earned their BA and/or MA at an African university are explicitly encouraged to apply for this position. The University of Zurich is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from both female and male candidates.
The successful candidate will be a member of the research group lead by Prof Roberto Zaugg, which includes scholars working on different topics and geographical areas.
• The successful candidate will develop a PhD project and write a doctoral thesis on a topic related to the history of sub-Saharan Africa between the late 15th and the early 19th centuries. Projects focussing on entanglements between African regions and the wider world are particularly welcome. The main focus of the research group lead by Prof Roberto Zaugg is West and West-Central Africa; however, also proposals related to other African regions will be considered.
• The successful candidate will be required to teach courses for undergraduate students (in English or German) and to take part in the academic activities of the Department of History.
• She/he will be expected to present the results of her/his research at conferences and to write articles for scholarly journals.
• She/he will be required to take up residence in Switzerland.
• The candidates are expected to have very good knowledge of English. Previous knowledge of German is not a necessary requirement. However, the successful candidate will be expected to take German courses during her/his contract.
• Additional language skills in both European and African languages are clearly a plus.
• The candidates are expected to have previous experience in working with manuscript sources.
• The candidates are expected to hold an outstanding MA degree (or equivalent) in History.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award:
- The salary is fixed according to the guidelines of the Canton Zurich.
- In addition to the salary, she/he will be entitled to apply for university grants in order to do research in foreign archives and to attend international conferences. She/he will have an equipped workspace at the University of Zurich.
Duration of Award: The appointment is offered for two years in the first instance, with extension up to a total of six years pending good performance.
How to Apply:
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Studying in South Africa Vs UK - Which is better? Study Abroad Comparison
Studying in UK Vs Italy Which Is Better? Study Abroad Comparison
Is It Too Late To Change Career at 27?