SCAR/WMO Fellowships 2019 for Climate Researchers from Developing Countries (Funded to Antarctica)
In 2019 the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) is piloting a new scheme in collaboration with the WMO. This is aimed at researchers from developing countries working in weather, climate or water related disciplines.
Application Deadline: 17th July 2019
Eligible Countries: Developing countries
To be taken at (country): Antartica
About the Award: In 2019 thanks to the support of France, India and the Republic of Korea there are several additional SCAR fellowship opportunities. Support from the Republic of Korea is specifically targeted at researchers from countries that have been under-represented. Additional opportunities will be offered to climate and weather researchers from developing countries through a collaboration between SCAR and the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO).
The Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) initiated the SCAR Fellowship Programme in 2002. The aim was to encourage the active involvement of early-career researchers in Antarctic scientific research and to build new connections and further strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Antarctic research. Since the initiation of the programme, more than 60 SCAR Fellowships have been awarded.
- Current PhD researcher or within 5 years of finishing PhD;
- Citizen of a WMO Member Country;
- Citizen of a developing economy;
- Visiting an Antarctic research facility in or run by a SCAR member country, which is different from applicant’s (a) country of origin and (b) current country of residence;
- Proposing a topic in a weather, climate, or operational hydrology related discipline;
- Should link to the objectives of one or more of SCAR’s science groups, including the Humanities and Social Sciences group, and/or the Scientific Research Programmes.
Number of Awards: 6-7 awards for 2019
Value of Award:
- Up to USD $15,000 per award;
- Home institute to bear in-home country costs (e.g. visa costs, domestic travel);
- Host institute to waive bench fees, if any.
Duration of Award: 1 year
How to Apply: The application form and advice on applying can be found in the How to Apply section.
Applicants may find the 2016 SCAR-COMNAP-APECS webinar on preparing Fellowship applications useful. A second webinar on the same theme was conducted in Spanish in 2017.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Important Notes: Please note: The application process is the same for both the SCAR Fellowships and the SCAR/WMO Fellowships, and requires submission of the same form. Please state whether you are applying for the SCAR Fellowship or the SCAR/WMO Fellowship when applying.
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do
This One Skill Will Increase Your Value by at least 50%
10 Common Scholarship Interview Questions And How to Answer Them