Goethe-Institut/Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou Writer’s Residency 2019/2020 for Young African Writers – Burkina Faso
The Goethe-Institut/ Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou is setting up a writer’s residency for young African writers (less than 40 years) in 2019/20 in Burkina Faso.
Application Deadline: 7th July 2019 (23:59 GMT +0)
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Burkina Faso
About the Award: This residency program aims to give a platform for free expression
– to writers who project the vision of (another) future in their writings,
– to writers who have restrictions of expression in their country of origin,
– to activist writers who express themselves in relation to social and/ or political transformations and challenges in their countries.
Type: Short course
Eligibility: The residence is open to writers of all literary genres: novel, poetry, essay, storytelling, narration, theatre, comic, etc.
The production of a text is mandatory for the authors in residence. The texts produced will be published at the end of 2020, either in physical or digital version.
- Be under 40 years old
- Have at least one published text, either with a publisher or a newspaper, on a blog or website or as a self-publication
- be of African nationality by origin or by naturalization
- Have a writing project to develop during the residency
- Be available from November 2019
Number of Awards:
- 2 or 3 residencies of 4 weeks in Ouagadougou in 2019/20
- 3 authors per residency (1 from Burkina Faso, 2 from other African countries)
Value of Award:
Candidates will cover:
Assumption of the costs for transportation (from home country to Burkina Faso) and visa
The residency will provide:
Accommodation during the 4 weeks residency
Grant of 1.500 Euro for the residency period (incl. per diem and private transport) – paid in place in two instalments.
Duration of Award: 4 weeks
How to Apply: Application and documents to provide:
– Letter of motivation specifying your author’s career, your personal situation,
– your expectations and the reasons for your application for the residency
– Description of your project to develop during the residency
– Curriculum Vitae
– Full biography (max. 500 words)
– PDF or links of texts already published
The selection process for the residency writers will be conducted by an external jury of three professional authors (Names to be confirmed).
The applications shall be sent to the following addresses:
Carolin Christgau, Director Goethe-Institut:
Francois d’Assise Ouédraogo, Assistant Goethe-Institut:
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.