Women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Scholarship Program 2019 for Study in USA or Canada
One $5,000 scholarship to a woman who is currently enrolled or accepted to study full-time in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) degree program at an MPOWER Partner University in the United States or Canada.
Application Deadline: 1st May 2019
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): USA, Canada
About the Award: In keeping with MPOWER’s commitment to empower high-potential global citizens to realize their educational aspirations—and become tomorrow’s leading scientists and innovators —this scholarship program will focus on women who will use their STEM degree to benefit society and the planet and who have the potential to serve as role models and advocates for women in STEM.
As a certified B Corporation (social enterprise) and the leading American provider of education loans to international students, MPOWER has long been focused on increasing access to higher education for women from emerging markets. MPOWER’s interviews with borrowers indicate that women in emerging markets are less likely than their male counterparts to receive financial support for higher education from their families.
For MPOWER’s CEO and co-founder Manu Smadja, these statistics represent a social challenge to address.“It’s critical for us as a society to have a meaningful representation of women shaping the science and technology of tomorrow. The world may look a lot different if we do a better job at enabling female talent to shape the technologies transforming healthcare, education, transportation, or cities for instance. By helping talented female students study and work in North America, we’re helping close the gender gap in the STEM workforce,” said Smadja. “But we’d like to do much more, and starting this new scholarship program is yet another way to level the playing field.”
Type: Undergraduate, Masters
Eligibility: The student must:
- The student must be 18 years or older
- Be female
- Be enrolled or accepted to study full-time in a STEM degree program at one of MPOWER’s partner universities for the remainder of the student’s undergraduate study and/or for a graduate degree program
- Students studying in the U.S. must be U.S. permanent residents or DACA recipients or have a valid U.S. visa that allows the student to study in the U.S. Students studying in Canada must be Canadian permanent residents or have a valid Canadian visa/study permit that allow the student to study in Canada.
Selection Criteria:MPOWER will select winners based on:
- The quality of the applicant’s written essays; the essays should demonstrate clarity of thought, compelling goals and vision, and superior writing skills in English;
- The applicant’s record of academic and (if applicable) professional distinction;
- The applicant’s potential to make significant contributions in a STEM field that will benefit people and/or the planet; and
- The applicant’s track record and/or potential as a role model and advocate for women and girls in STEM.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: $5000
How to Apply: All that’s required is a short application and two brief essays!
- It will be good to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.