Apply: Human Rights Watch (HRW) Africa Division Internship Program 2019 for Under/Graduate Students
The Africa Division of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking law students, graduate students, or undergraduate students as an intern for summer 2019. The intern will focus on Human Rights Watch projects involving our work in the Horn of Africa.
Application Deadline: 3rd May 2019
To be taken at (country): In HRW New York office (other locations may be considered).
About the Award: This internship will consist primarily of:
- Conducting small research assignments;
- Assisting with social media management; and
- Drafting documents regarding issues in the region.
Other projects can be assigned as they arise and match the student’s interests and abilities.
Eligibility: The intern must be a student for the duration of the internship term. Applicants should be well-organized, self-motivated and reliable, with a strong attention to detail. A strong interest in human rights, specifically concerning Africa is essential. Relevant coursework is highly desirable, and knowledge of Microsoft Excel and internet-based research is essential. Computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office, internet applications) are required.
Proficiency in Amharic or Afaan Oromo is required.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Internships are unpaid.
- However, students may be able to arrange academic credit, as Human Rights Watch internships often offer direct exposure to the workings of an international human rights organization, close supervision by HRW staff, and interaction with other US and international organizations and foreign and domestic government officials. Students should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
- Students will also have opportunities to attend lectures, trainings, professional development workshops, and/or special events relating to human rights, as well as network with other HRW interns, volunteers, and employees. As an HRW intern, students will take skills acquired in school and apply them in a professional setting.
Duration of Award: Ideally, the intern will be available part-time from mid-May 2019 through August 2019 (dates and times are flexible).
How to Apply:
- Please apply immediately by visiting our online job portal at: https://careers.hrw.org and attaching a resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Due to the large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.
- If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.