TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowship for Young Scientists from Developing Countries (Fully-funded to Brazil) 2018
The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) in Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS offer full time and sandwich postgraduate fellowships to young scientists from developing countries (other than Brazil) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in natural sciences.
Application Deadline: 14th September 2018
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To be taken at (country): Brazil
About Scholarship: TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil for a period of up to 12 months (SANDWICH PhD) or up to four years (FULL-TIME PhD) and are awarded to students from developing countries (other than Brazil) to enable them to pursue part (SANDWICH PhD) or all (FULL-TIME PhD) of their research leading towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
Who is qualified to apply? Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- There is no age limit for this programme.
- Hold a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum Master’s degree).
- Have good command of Portuguese and/or Spanish and/or English.
- Be a national of a developing country other than Brazil.
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (please refer to the sample that can be downloaded below)and be willing to carry out part of their PhD research (Sandwich option) or register for a full PhD degree (Full time option) in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution (see point 3 above).
- Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate’s mother tongue).
- Have an updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform (see note on online applications below).
- Present a detailed research plan agreed by her/his host supervisor.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- For SANDWICH applucants only: Provide a declaration from the home institution, which states the candidate has been officially enrolled as a PhD Student in the home country for at least 1 (one) year by the date of the application.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Awards: CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Duration of Programme: up to 12 months (SANDWICH PhD) or up to four years (FULL-TIME PhD)
How can I Apply?
- Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only.
- Information on the call for applications where you will find the programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates as well as the online application form are available in the note here
- Applicants must be aware that CNPq and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
Award Providers: The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) and TWAS.