VLIR-UOS ITP Scholarship 2020/2021 in Modern breeding techniques for maize improvement (Fully-funded)
International Plant Biotechnology Outreach (IPBO) at UGent, in cooperation with the International Potato Center (CIP), organizes a short term course for students, scientists and professionals from the public and industrial sector, who are involved in local crop (maize) improvement or genetic manipulation regulatory programs.
Application Deadline: 14th February 2020
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
To be taken at (country): Belgium
About the Award:
The training “Modern breeding techniques of maize” will cover the different challenges faced in maize cultivation and the latest scientific developments and tools to accelerate maize breeding (both conventional breeding and biotechnological techniques).
The program starts with fundamental background sessions on maize breeding, the use of molecular markers in plant breeding, plant biotechnology, genetic transformation and new breeding techniques for maize. Experts from Europe and Africa will give an overview of biotic and abiotic stresses affecting the growth of maize and possible solutions to overcome these threats. In these sessions, special emphasis will be given on the effects of fungal contamination, drought and soil fertility on the growth and yield of maize.
In addition, the training will provide a comprehensive view and the latest essential insights on the regulatory frameworks and environmental risk assessment principles in Africa and Europe. The course will alternate theory and exercises for the understanding of the basic principles and methodologies of crop safety and risk assessment.
The sessions are interactive, including group work, presentations and discussions. The program also includes visits to a field trial and possibly a two day workshop on maize transformation.
- Students, scientists and professionals from the public and industrial sector, who are involved in local crop (maize) improvement or GM regulatory programs. Admission requirements:
- Holder of at least a Bachelor (or equivalent) in Science, Plant Biotechnology, Agricultural or Bioengineering Sciences
- Good knowledge of English
- Preference will be given to participants from Africa involved in maize breeding
- A balance between male and female participants will be achieved
Number of Awards: 12
Value of Award: Scholarships are only provided for the full duration of the training programme. It is not possible to apply for a partial scholarship.
Duration of Programme: The programme is organised from 22 June 2020 until 10 July 2020
How to Apply:
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying