PhD Scholarship to Work on Tomato Leafminer, Tuta Absoluta, at ICIPE 2019/2020
icipe is offering a PhD project working on the micro-lepidopteran moth of South American origin, the tomato leafminer, Tuta absoluta, that represents the dominant and most serious pest of tomato.
Application Deadline: 22nd February 2019
To be taken at (country): The PhD position is based at icipe’s Duduville Campus Nairobi, Kenya.
About the Award: The project is designed to address constraints due to T. absoluta through validation of EPF-based biopesticides, screening of endophytes and implementation of applications of proven IPM strategies to suppress the pest.
Type: PhD, Research
- The applicant must be a national of any country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Master’s degree completed less than ten years ago at the time of application.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by 31st December 2019.
- Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents must be submitted latest by 22nd February 2019.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to apply.
- Recent MSc graduate in Microbiology/Entomology
- BSc degree in Biological Sciences, with a minimum of 2nd Class Upper division degree or equivalent
- Should be a national of an African country
- Maximum age of 35 years
- Knowledge in chemical ecology will be an added advantage
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The PhD projects are funded through a research grant from the African Union Research Grants (AURG) and will be jointly supervised by scientists from icipe and the university in which the student will register. The scholarships will cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- Successful candidates will develop a full proposal and register with a university after they commence their PhD programme at icipe.
Duration of Programme: 3 year doctoral training by research; start: 1st April 2019
How to Apply: Only applications submitted through the online platform
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying