British Institute in East Africa Graduate Attachment Scheme 2019/2020 – Nairobi
The BIEA has opened its Call For 2019/2020 Applications (Graduate Attachment Scheme)
Application Deadline: 25th February 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain practical experience of research. The June 2019 to May 2020 BIEA graduate attachment scheme will take up to nine successful applicants. Graduate attachés will be involved in three types of work while at the BIEA:
- Attachés will develop specific research interests in the region, gain practical experience of conducting fieldwork, meet a variety of active researchers, and take part in a number of innovative historical, archaeological and anthropological projects throughout eastern Africa;
- Assisting with the administration of the BIEA including website, library, reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, workshops and seminars; and,
- Doing their own research usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. Their attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Seminar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA.
- You will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and that you are equally adept at working and living alone or as part of a large team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various field projects and subsequent data analysis.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Graduate attachés will be given a total allowance of £1600.00 for the three months of the attachment to pay for accommodation, food, daily transport in Nairobi and medicine.
- The attachés will have to provide receipts for their expenses amounting to their total allowance (small food purchases can be written down weekly in a receipt book/ledger).
- The total costs for transport to and from Nairobi at beginning and end of an attaché’s stay will be paid separately on a needs basis.
- Graduate attachés will not be obliged to use the offered BIEA accommodation, but will be given preferential access to the dorm rooms, should they wish to use the BIEA guest house.
- The BIEA has free weekly Swahili lessons, at beginner, intermediate and advanced level that graduate attachés can join.
Duration of Programme:
- Graduate attachments are three months long. There may be opportunities to extend your stay but accommodation, food, visa and transport changes will be at the attaché’s own expense.
- Graduate attachés can arrive between 1 July 2019 and 1 January 2020. The scheme for this year will finish on 31 March 2020.
- Please specify the three-month time period(s) that you are available for this scheme in your application.
How to Apply: Applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com explaining how participation in the scheme will assist the development of your career. You will need to arrange for two academic references to be sent directly to BIEA.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying