British Institute in East Africa Graduate Attachment Scheme 2020/2021
The BIEA has opened its Call For 2020/2021 Applications (Graduate Attachment Scheme)
Application Deadline: 30th June 2020
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain practical experience of research. The July 2020 to June 2021 . BIEA graduate attachment scheme will take up to nine successful applicants. Due to COVID-19 and associated social distancing and travel restrictions, the scheme will consist of on-line research and activities until further notice. This will include one-to-one and group meetings via Zoom. Successful applicants will be involved in three types of work while with the BIEA:
- Gain practical experience of conducting research by working with a named researcher on one, or a number of, innovative historical, archaeological and anthropological projects on eastern Africa;
- Undertake their own research with the assistance of a named mentor usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. The attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Webinar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA.
- Assisting with the administration of the BIEA including online reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, and online workshops and seminars.
- In addition, the BIEA will offer free weekly online Swahili lessons that graduate attachés can join.
Doing their own research usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. Their attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Seminar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA.
- You will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and that you are equally adept at working and living alone or as part of a large team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various field projects and subsequent data analysis.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Graduate attachés will be given a total allowance of £1000.00 for the three months of the attachment to pay for accommodation, food, daily transport in Nairobi and medicine.
- The attachés will have to provide receipts for their expenses amounting to their total allowance (small food purchases can be written down weekly in a receipt book/ledger).
- The total costs for transport to and from Nairobi at beginning and end of an attaché’s stay will be paid separately on a needs basis.
- Graduate attachés will not be obliged to use the offered BIEA accommodation, but will be given preferential access to the dorm rooms, should they wish to use the BIEA guest house.
- The BIEA has free weekly Swahili lessons, at beginner, intermediate and advanced level that graduate attachés can join.
Duration of Programme:
- Graduate attachments are three months long. There may be opportunities to extend your stay but accommodation, food, visa and transport changes will be at the attaché’s own expense.
- Graduate attachés can start between 15 July 2020 and 1 January 2021. The scheme for this year will finish on 31 March 2021.
- Please specify the three-month time period(s) that you are available for this scheme in your application.
How to Apply: To Apply. Applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] explaining how participation in the scheme will assist the development of your career. You will need to arrange for two academic references to be sent directly to BIEA.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying