Graduate Women in Science (GWIS) National Fellowships Program 2020 for International Women Researchers
The GWIS National Fellowships Program is proud to offer fellowships in 2020 to help increase knowledge in the natural sciences and to encourage research careers in the sciences by women.
Application Deadline: 10th January 2020
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): USA
Field of Study: Science-related fields
- Awards will be made to women holding a degree from a recognized institution of higher learning, of outstanding ability and promise in research, who are performing hypothesis-driven research at any institution in the U.S. or abroad.
- Career level (e.g. graduate student vs. assistant professor) of the candidate will be taken into consideration when reviewing the proposals.
- Awards will be made irrespective of race, religion, nationality, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, or age.
- Application for the GWIS Fellowships is offered at no cost to current GWIS members, as a member benefit. For non-members, an application processing fee of $50 is required. Fellowships applicants that are not already GWIS members may join GWIS with a 1-year introductory membership at a discounted rate of $40 (click here to join). Please note that membership approval can take up to 48 hours, so if you want to become a GWIS member, please do so (ideally) at least a week before the Fellowships deadline.
- Financial need of research funding is a requirement for the application. No project that has already been fully funded will be eligible for the awards. All pending funding sources must be listed in the application and reviewers will consider these when assessing the financial need of the project.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Fellowship funds may be used for such things as:
- expendable supplies
- small equipment to be used by the recipient (not for general use)
- publication of research findings
- travel and subsistence while performing field studies
- travel to another laboratory for collaborative research
- Undergraduate collaborators (up to 1/3 of total requested amount)
These costs must be clearly justified in the proposal and integral to the research design.
- Funds cannot be used for the following:
- child care
- travel to professional meetings or to begin a new appointment
- travel to another institution for coursework
- living allowances
- equipment for general use
- laptops and/or personal computers
- indirect costs
Terms of Award:
- All of the work in the proposal must be conducted by the PI of the grant. The fellowships applicant will be the one conducting the work, rather than using the award to support someone conducting work for them (e.g. the funds may not be used by a professor to support a graduate student).
- The recipient of an award will submit an abstract of 100 words or less along with a recent photo of themselves (.jpg file) to GWIS Bulletin editor ([email protected]) as soon as the awards are announced. This will be used for publication purposes in the national GWIS quarterly publication The Bulletin and on the GWIS website. Fellowships winners will also need to submit an abstract geared to non-scientists to be used for outreach and further promotion of GWIS activities
- The recipient of the award will be expected to follow the main outline of the original proposal. If a major deviation from it is essential, approval must be obtained from the Fellowships Committee.
- If for any reason the recipient is unable to initiate or complete the project, unexpended funds shall be returned to GWIS.
- At the end of the Fellowship, a one-page progress report, plus the annual expense report must be sent to the past president. The fellowships winner’s supervisor must sign both documents, and the past president must receive it by May 15th, 2019. Any abstracts or reprints resulting from the proposed work must accompany the progress report. Please send both documents to [email protected] If the research extends beyond one year, submission of an annual progress report acceptable to the Fellowships Committee is required.
- Acknowledgement of support from an award is requested in pertinent publications, oral presentations and on the awardees’ curriculum vitae.
Duration of Programme: The period of the award shall be one academic year (July 1st to June 30th). Recipients are not eligible for awards in subsequent years, though they may submit applications that include a significantly different proposal/project than the one for which they received a GWIS Fellowship award previously.
- You can find detailed instructions and link to the application here. Make sure to check out the FAQ section before you apply.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
15 Inspiring Lessons from 5 African Billionaires for Young People
How to Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship – Tips To Apply To Win
Do Not Move To Germany If…