DAAD: German Egyptian Research Long-Term Scholarship Program (GERLS) 2020 for Egyptian Students
Until further notice there will no call for applications in this programme for 2020. We would like to draw your attention to the GERSS programme, which may be of interest (next call intended in October/November 2019).
Application Deadline: 15th January 2019
Eligible Countries: Egypt
To be taken at (country): Germany
About the Award: The GERLS programme will be administered by the DAAD in close cooperation with the MHESR and German universities. Funds made available by the German Federal Foreign Office and the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education have been allocated to create a programme offering postgraduate scholarships for Egyptian doctoral candidates.
Types of scholarships:
- Full PhD. Scholarship:
Target: in all fields of academic studies except the following disciplines: fine & applied arts and music
Degree: Ph.D. will be awarded by a German university
Duration: up to 48 months maximum and not extendable
- “Channel” Scholarship:
Target: in all fields of study except the following disciplines: fine and applied arts and music
Degree: Ph.D. will be awarded by an Egyptian university
Duration: up to 24 months maximum and not extendable
- The programme is aimed at highly-qualified Egyptian doctoral candidates, who have been awarded M.A./M.Sc. degrees in the past three years.
- Applicants must be affiliated to Egyptian Public universities, public research institutions and ministries and must fulfill the eligibility criteria of the Missions’s department.
- Candidates can select adequately structured PhD courses or PhD supervisors in Germany themselves in order to join the GERLS programme. However, dual funding from universities offering such courses and the GERLS programme are not permitted.
What requirements must be met?
- All applicants must be affiliated to Egyptian Public universities, research institutions and ministries following the plan of the missions’ departments and should fulfill all the eligibility criteria of the missions’ departments.
- Students applying for a GERLS scholarship (Channel or full PhD) must have completed a Master’s degree by the application deadline
- The degree should have been completed no longer than three years before the time of application
- Applicants should not reside outside Egypt for more than six months during the whole application process.
English Language Requirements:
- All applicants have to submit proof of English language skills/abilities.
- This proof shall be one of the following certificates: either IELTS (band 6.5) certificate or institutional TOEFL ITP (minimum score 550) or international TOEFL IBT (minimum score 80). Any other certificate and/ or score will not be accepted.
- Sufficient proof of English skills is eligibility criteria.
German Language Requirements:
- The German language is not considered as an entry requirement by the time of the application; however, it is a plus.
- All final selected candidates will receive an intensive language course in Egypt.
- A placement test will be conducted to all applicants who have knowledge of German language and have indicated this in their application form.
- Applicants from the field of German studies and German school graduates will be exempted from the language course in Egypt.
Selection Criteria: The candidates will be selected in two rounds. First, a pre-selection procedure will identify the group of applicants to be invited for the second phase consisting of a personal interview with the GERLS bi-national independent interdisciplinary selection committee. Pre- and final selection of the candidates will be conducted according to, but not limited to following criteria:
- Excellent study achievements.
- Good command of languages: Very good command of the English language is required, while German language command is a plus.
- Scientific merits, including:
– Quality of the proposal
– The benefit to Egypt
– Preparation and feasibility of the project
– Quality of the acceptance letter
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The GERLS scholarship includes:
- Monthly basic scholarship of 1,000 Euros for Ph.D. candidates, plus individual surcharges and standard annual allowances
(Please note: Current stipend rate, subject to increase upon approval by MHESR)
- Health, accident and personal liability insurance
- German language course, preparatory modules and intercultural training in Egypt
- Please note: No family allowances will be granted.
Duration of Programme: Generally speaking, the scholarships within this programme are awarded for 12 months, subject to extension up to 48 months maximum.
How to Apply:
- The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD Portal.
- It is important to go through all application instructions before applying.