London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) Greenwood Africa Award 2019 for African Scientists
The Greenwood Africa Award recognises the research achievements and future potential of a mid-career African scientist in contributing to the control of infectious disease in sub-Saharan Africa. It is awarded to an individual who shows exceptional promise as an African research leader.
Application Deadline: 9th December 2018.
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan African countries
To be taken at (country): UK
About the Award: The Greenwood Africa Award is being inaugurated to mark Professor Greenwood’s 80th birthday in 2018. Through his simple but high-quality methods for clinical studies and field trials of drugs and vaccines Prof Greenwood re-orientated field research in tropical medicine. His work has led the way in seeking holistic solutions based on cutting-edge science as well as a genuine understanding of the complex eco-system and real-life challenges unique to Africa. He demonstrated the effectiveness of insecticide-treated nets, now the cornerstone of malaria control throughout Africa, the importance of pneumonia as a cause of death and severe illness in African children and the potential to prevent this condition through vaccination against Haemophilus influenzae type B (Hib) and Streptococcus pneumoniae. He has also conducted research on many aspects of meningitis in the African ‘meningitis belt’, including its prevention through vaccination.
- A national of a country in sub-Saharan Africa normally resident in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Not more than 10 years post the award of their PhD or equivalent post graduate qualification.
- To have conducted research relating to infectious disease in sub-Saharan Africa on which their application will be judged.
- Exceptional promise as a future African research leader in any field relevant to the control of infectious diseases.
- Outstanding research achievements in the field of infectious disease prevention or treatment.
- The recipient can be either LSHTM staff or a non-LSHTM affiliate.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: The award consists of a medal and a week in residence at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) in London. The winner will be required to give a Greenwood lecture, as well as interact with relevant academics and give seminars as appropriate.
Duration of Programme: It will be awarded every three years, at the LSHTM graduation ceremony.
How to Apply:
- Nominations (including self-nominations) consist of a cover letter (max 1 page) and a CV (max 4 pages).
- Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 9 December 2018.