The World Health Organization (WHO) in the African Region has launched the first WHO Africa Innovation Challenge calling for health innovations with the potential for having significant social impact and addressing the unmet health needs on the continent.
Application Deadline: 10th December at midnight (GMT+1).
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: “This Innovation Challenge recognizes the critical need for innovations to address the continent’s challenges in healthcare,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa. “WHO champions the promotion of homegrown solutions to address health challenges in reproductive, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, noncommunicable diseases and other key areas. We hope this challenge will spark the entrepreneurial spirit of innovators and lead to credible health innovations across the continent”.
Eligibility: This Challenge is open to solutions that comply with the following eligibility criteria listed below – solutions that are:
- Solutions that are developed in and/or relevant to Africa in addressing one or more health-related problems or applying an innovative approach for delivering solutions in Africa.
- Solutions that address one or more problems in a new and different way often through a simpler and more effective means that is novel.
- Solutions that are realistic and have the capability and potential to be enlarged and replicated.
Other eligibility criteria include that:
- This Challenge is open to individuals, teams, for-profit, non-profit entities (including hybrid entities i.e. social enterprises), academic institutions or research institutions.
- Entrants are not required to be formally registered in order to qualify for the Challenge
- Applicants must be:
- Africa nationals residing in Africa or outside of Africa; or
- Foreign nationals either based in Africa or, if not based in Africa, then working with an African-based entity.
- This Challenge will prioritise innovative and scalable healthcare solutions for selection. The three submission categories are Product, Service and Social Innovation.
- Entries will be assessed by a panel of independent evaluators based on the innovation’s potential impact on health in Africa as well as the possibility of being replicated or scaled-up.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Selected Finalists will be awarded a sponsorship covering flights, accommodation to attend the Forum. At this event, they will get the opportunity to exhibit their innovations and meet with top political, government and business leaders in the health space. They will also get a chance to exhibit their solutions at the annual meeting of Ministers of Health from the WHO African Region in August 2019, in Brazzaville, Congo.
How to Apply: Apply here