MIASA Fellowships (Junior/Senior) at the University of Ghana 2020 for African Scholars
The Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) offers Fellowships (Junior/Senior) at the University of Ghana from September to December 2020 on “The Governance of Energy Transitions in the Global South”
Application Deadline: 15th October, 2019, 24 h CET
Eligible Countries: African countries, Germany
To be taken at (country):
About the Award: The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, with ‘Sustainable Governance’ as its central topic. More specific topic areas under this umbrella prominently include sustainable democracy, conflict management and environmental transformation as well as migration, restitution, and human rights research. Overarching aims of MIASA are working towards a reduction of global asymmetries in knowledge production and bridging the cultural divide between anglophone and francophone Africa. MIASA, established in 2018, serves as a hub for exchange, networking and collaboration amongst leading researchers from Germany, Ghana, the African and European continents and beyond. Its main site is located on the beautiful campus of the University of Ghana at Legon (Accra), with a scenic secondary site in Dakar (Senegal).
In its third call for short-term fellowships, MIASA welcomes applications from excellent researchers to join the interdisciplinary fellow group (IFG) “The Governance of Energy Transitions in the Global South” from September to December 2020.
The IFG brings together a group of up to six fellows for a duration of four months. The group comprises both senior and junior researchers from Germany, Africa and the rest of the world. The group centers around a research question which necessitates the input of experts from different academic fields and backgrounds. The group will work on the joint topic by, among other activities, holding weekly colloquia and organizing a final workshop or conference. The group will be asked to produce working papers based on their work at MIASA. Members of the group will also be expected to contribute a guest lecture on a relevant postgraduate course.
Type: Fellowship, Research
Eligibility: Eligible for application are junior and senior researchers from around the globe after completion of their PhD in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences. Applicants must propose a research project that matches the research focus of the IFG on“The Governance of Energy Transitions in the Global South”.
Number of Awards: 10
Value of Award:
- The successful applicants will become MIASA Fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period.
- The fellows’ salary costs will be met by MIASA on the principle of “no loss, no gain” and paid directly to their home institution. MIASA will provide accommodation and reimburse travel costs.
- Furthermore, all fellows will receive a monthly allowance of 400 €.
- In addition, MIASA will provide a research cost contribution that fellows can apply for to support their research undertaken at MIASA (max. 600 €/fellow).
- The Institute provides its fellows with modern office space and an up-to-date infrastructure. Fellows have full access to all library services. A full-time presence of fellows at MIASA for the four-month period is expected.
Duration of Programme:The fellowships will typically be held for four months from September to December 2020.
How to Apply:
- The completed application form together with the required documents has to be uploaded on the application webpage HERE and submitted by October 15, 2019; 24.00 h CET.
- Information on the application and selection process (required documents, eligibility criteria, evaluation criteria, timeline and stages of the selection process) and the interdisciplinary fellow group is provided HERE.