DOK.network Africa Residency Programme 2019 for African Filmmakers (Fully-funded to Munich, Germany)
You are a young African filmmaker looking for an international training platform to develop your new documentary film project? For the second time, DOK.fest München together with the Department of Arts and Culture of the City of Munich and the University of Television and Film Munich (HFF) offers a Residency Programme accompanied by training in story and treatment development, financing and pitching.
Application Deadline: 18th November 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Munich, Germany; Applicant’s home country
About the Award: The DOK.network Africa residency is aimed at supporting emerging filmmakers from African countries to develop their feature-length narrative documentary film projects at the international level. Thanks to our funding partners we can offer two scholarships including travel costs to and from Munich, a mentoring and training programme, monthly allowances and accommodation in the International Artist Residence Villa Waldberta of the City of Munich. The residency includes two programme periods: 1st period: 7th January to 28th February 2019 / 2nd period: 1st April to 30th May 2019. The month of March is planned for further research and filming in the respective home country.
Type: Training, Grants
Eligibility: We invite all filmmakers (directors / authors) who
- are younger than 35 years old
- hold the citizenship of a sub-Saharan African country and primarily live and work in Africa.
- currently work on a feature-length documentary film (minimum 52 min.) which is supposed to be shot and produced in an African country
- are fluent in the English language, in both its written and spoken form
to apply for the DOK.network Africa Residency Programme.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Award: Scholarships including travel costs to and from Munich, a mentoring and training programme, monthly allowances and accommodation in the International Artist Residence Villa Waldberta of the City of Munich.
Duration of Programme: . The residency includes two programme periods: 1st period: 7th January to 28th February 2019 / 2nd period: 1st April to 30th May 2019. The month of March is planned for further research and filming in the respective home country.
How to Apply: In order to apply for the Residency Programme please send the following two PDF documents in English to: [email protected]
Please fill in the application form completely (please only edit the downloaded version!)
(Please insert your first and second name in the title of the PDF file:LastName_FirstName_OnlineForm_DNA_2019)
Please also send us your project outline as one single PDF file (max. 2 MB), covering the following aspects:
- Project title
- Synopsis (max. 4,000 characters)
- Film length (please note that we only accept projects for feature length documentary films beginning from 52 min.)
- Visual concept (what is your intended approach and which cinematic means are you going to use? E.g. Observational / interview / essay film etc. / Told with e.g. archive material / fictionalised elements / animation etc.)
- Director’s statement (why do you want to do this film? Max. 2,000 characters)
Budget plan and financing strategy
Please insert your first and second name as well as the project title in the title of the PDF file:LastName_FirstName_ProjectTitle_DNA_2019)