Zawadi Africa Education Fund Undergraduate Scholarship for Women 2018
The Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a program designed to provide undergraduate scholarships to academically gifted girls/women from disadvantaged backgrounds from Africa to pursue higher education in the US and other parts of Africa.
Application Deadline: 6th April 2018
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Kenya, Uganda, Ghana and Mozambique
About the Award: Zawadi Africa Education Fund is a leadership development program that provides university scholarships and leadership development and life skills training to academically gifted but financially disadvantaged African girls, with the objective of developing a pipeline of young African women leaders.
Zawadi Africa was formed with the belief that together with a world class education and the right character development, these young African women will be able to return to their home countries empowered and equipped with the skills needed to make significant, positive impact in their communities in a continent where traditionally women have not had a voice in the development of their community.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, the following criteria must be met:
- A girl who has completed her secondary school examination i.e. The Kenya Certificate of Secondary Examination (KCSE)
- Has demonstrated academic excellence (A Plain or A Minus)
- Has demonstrated leadership qualities e.g. in school as a prefect, in the community, church, leadership in peer related activities etc.
- Has overcome insurmountable odds such as serious financial challenges, oppressive social-cultural practices such as early marriages and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) etc. in order to attain academic excellence.
- Come from a financially disadvantaged background.
- Has demonstrated clear financial need
Selection Criteria: includes excellent academics, extracurricular involvement, leadership potential and financial need.
Selection: The Admission decision is entirely dependent on the Universities’ Admission Boards. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview a month after the deadline of this application.
How to Apply:
- If you meet the above criteria, ensure that you download and complete every part of the application form. Your application will only be considered if it completely filled.
- Attach a one page biography and a passport photo. The biography should be TYPED and highlight your family and educational background, your aspirations, financial status, as well as hobbies and activities that you have undertaken while in school and in your community.
- Attach a 500-650 word essay on ONLY ONE of three topics listed on page seven.
- Attach a copy of your high school leaving certificate and K.C.S.E result slip as well as copies of high school certificates that show your involvement in extracurricular activities and leadership related initiatives.
- Attach a signed recommendation letter from your class teacher or head teacher.
- Attach a copy of your birth certificate and your National Identity Card (if you have one).
- Attach a letter from your local chief confirming his knowledge of your family and yourself. The letter should preferably be written on a government letter headed document.
- Any false statements, omissions or forged documents will lead to automatic disqualification.
- 9. Submit a Hard Copy of this application form and the required supporting documents on or before the deadline (6th April, 2018) to the designated offices written in the application forms.
Award Provider: Zawadi Africa