Advancing Young Women Professional Fellows Program 2019 for Women Entrepreneurs
East African entrepreneurs, MSU, and external partners connect via the Advancing Women Agribusiness Entrepreneurs and Innovators Professional Fellows Program
Application Deadline: 9th November 2018 midnight (EST)
Eligible Countries: East African countries
About the Award: We are recruiting young Tanzanian, Kenyan, and Ugandan professionals from diverse backgrounds in private, public, non-governmental, and education sectors who are either women agribusiness entrepreneurs or individuals working to increase women’s economic engagement in the agricultural sector.
The Advancing Women Agribusiness Entrepreneurs and Innovators Professional Fellows Program hosted at Michigan State University (MSU) connects Ugandan, Tanzanian and Kenyan agribusiness professionals and entrepreneurs with their counterparts in Michigan for knowledge exchange and capacity building. The program strengthens visiting fellows’ skills in agro-entrepreneurship and agri-food system innovation, and addresses issues of women’s economic empowerment.
Type: Entrepreneurship, Training
- Women entrepreneurs, social innovators, or small and medium business owners or managers and other leaders working in the agriculture and food sectors
- Individuals (of any gender) in civil society and NGOs working on programs that support women in the agriculture and food sectors in their respective countries
- Policymakers, ministry employees, and others in the public sector (of any gender) focused on supporting and improving opportunities for women in the agriculture or food sector
- Academic staff (of any gender) who are implementing programs to impact advancing women in the agriculture and food sectors
- 25-40 years old
- A citizen, national, or permanent resident of Tanzania, Kenya, or Uganda
- Is living and working in Tanzania, Kenya, or Uganda at the time of the application
- Speaks fluent English
- Has at least 2 years of professional/working experience in their field
- Has demonstrated leadership and collaborative skills and a commitment to community
- Has employer’s support for participating in the program (for those not self-employed). For those self-employed, has recommendation from local authorities at the district, county, and/or community levels
- Is interested in participating in a reciprocal program for American participants coming to your country
- Preference will be given to those who are in an earlier state of their careers
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously had the opportunity to travel to the US
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The fully funded U.S. program includes:
- Professional internships with Michigan organizations,
- Seminars and trainings with professionals from Michigan State University and external partners,
- Field trips to urban farms, food hubs and related centers throughout Michigan, and
- Participation in the Professional Fellows Congress, held in Washington, D.C. and attended by cohorts placed at other U.S. institutions.
While in Michigan, fellows stay at a nearby hotel for the bulk of their visit, then spend the last week with a local host family. Based on the fellows’ program goals and business interests, MSU matches each individual with an appropriate internship.
Duration of Programme:
Spring 2019: April 2019 – May 2019
Fall 2019: October 2019 – November 2019
How to Apply: Apply here