French Agency for Development (AFD) Digital Challenge Innovation 2020 for African Entrepreneurs
For the fourth year in a row, the Agence Française de Développement is working alongside high-impact digital players in Africa.
Application Deadline: 18th November 2019
Eligible Countries: Francophone and Anglophone African countries
To be Taken at: France
About the Award: For this new edition, the AFD Digital Challenge wanted to combine the challenge of digital transition with that of sustainable cities, in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 11 (SDG).
“Creating sustainable cities and communities” is a major challenge in view of the phenomenon of massive urbanization that affects the African continent. Indeed, the vulnerabilities related to the centralization of populations are numerous and more particularly in a global context of climatic instability.
The sustainable city is a city that must first meet the basic needs of its population and that as economic engine of the country integrates the various environmental, social and cultural issues related to its development.
Digital is a powerful lever for the development of a sustainable, resilient, modern city in which its population actively participates in public decisions. However, the rise of digital technology must remain inclusive, accessible to all so as not to increase the inequalities of the continent.
Your startup, association, or research center is developing a digital solution that promotes the development of inclusive and sustainable cities in Africa and falls under one of the categories below? So you can apply !
- CREATION OF QUALITY URBAN SERVICES
- URBAN PLANNING FOR THE MOST VULNERABLE
- STIMULATION OF LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- IMPROVING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE CITIZENS AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES
Eligibility: Eligible projects for the AFD Digital Challenge Innovation are those that take into account the specific constraints and issues of women, and facilitate the access to:
- education, vocational training, mentoring and tutoring services.
- health services (including sexual health and reproduction),
- employment and professional opportunities, including women’s participation in sectors that traditionally employ men,
- financial services and other markets
- information about rights and access to judicial services
- mobility and transport
Will also be considered projects that contribute to:
- the deconstruction of gender stereotypes (eg media)
- the fight against gender-based violence
- the development of practices that do not discriminate against women (eg in the professional world, at school, etc.).
The challenge will be open to all entrepreneurs who have developed innovative solutions for Africa on this topic.
Number of Awards: 5 startups
Value of Award:
- 20 000 €
- International Visibility
- A tailor-made support program “Acceleration pack”
How to Apply: apply here
Award Provider: French Agency for Development
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Studying in South Africa Vs UK - Which is better? Study Abroad Comparison
Studying in UK Vs Italy Which Is Better? Study Abroad Comparison
Is It Too Late To Change Career at 27?