French Agency for Development (AFD) Digital Challenge Innovation for Women in Africa 2019
The third edition of the AFD Digital Challenge Innovation is dedicated to reduce inequalities between men and women on the African continent. The competition is aimed at f start-ups which offer innovative services that promote gender equality.
Application Deadline: 12th November 2018 – 13:00 TU
Eligible Countries: Francophone and Anglophone African countries
To be Taken at: France
About the Award: To promote entrepreneurial initiatives managed by women and/or men, tackling the challenges of women’s inclusion and gender inequalities – whether social, economic, cultural or political – and leveraging digital innovation for their development.
Eligibility: Eligible projects for the AFD Digital Challenge Innovation are those that take into account the specific constraints and issues of women, and facilitate the access to:
- education, vocational training, mentoring and tutoring services.
- health services (including sexual health and reproduction),
- employment and professional opportunities, including women’s participation in sectors that traditionally employ men,
- financial services and other markets
- information about rights and access to judicial services
- mobility and transport
Will also be considered projects that contribute to:
- the deconstruction of gender stereotypes (eg media)
- the fight against gender-based violence
- the development of practices that do not discriminate against women (eg in the professional world, at school, etc.).
The challenge will be open to all entrepreneurs who have developed innovative solutions for Africa on this topic.
Number of Awards: 5 startups
Value of Award: Award-winning startups will receive financial and technical support.
The Challenge will reward three categories of projects:
- AFD Digital Challenge Initiative, which rewards two start-up startups in the seed phase, remarkable by their capacity for innovation. Definition of seed stage in the context of the competition: the start-up is currently developing its prototype or its first product and is entering the commercialization phase.
- AFD Digital Success Challenge, which rewards two start-ups in the development phase that are remarkable for their ability to grow and expand. Definition of the development phase in the context of the competition: The start-up is positioned within its sector and its market, covers part of its costs through the income generated by its activities and to a well-established clientele.
- AFD Digital Challenge – Jury Award, which rewards a company that stands out for its original approach to women’s inclusion and gender equality, regardless of its stage of development.
All of the winners of this third edition of the AFD Digital Challenge Innovation will benefit from unprecedented visibility and privileged access to a global network of partners, customers and investors. They integrate a community that brings together the best talents of digital innovation, in Africa and for Africa, sharing experiences and practices.
How to Apply: apply here
Award Provider: French Agency for Development