Government of Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (JET) 2020 for Young South Africans (Fully-funded)
The Government of Japan is calling for applications from young South Africans who would like to spend at least one year in Japan as Assistant Language Instructors (ALTs) under a highly successful international exchange programme for university graduates.
Application Deadline: 8th November 2019
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To Be Taken At (Country): Japan
About the Award: The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme seeks to enhance internationalisation in Japan by promoting mutual understanding between the people of Japan and those of other nations. The Programme aims to enhance foreign language education and promote international exchange at the local level through the fostering of ties between Japanese youth and foreign youth alike.
Eligibility: As part of the general criteria, applicants must:
- Be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their knowledge and appreciation of Japan after their arrival; be motivated to participate in and initiate international exchange activities in the local community; make effort to study or continue studying the Japanese language prior to and after arriving in Japan.
- Be both mentally and physically healthy.
(3) Be willing and able to adapt to living and working in Japan, and be determined to responsibly complete their period of participation.
(4) Applicants for the ALT position must hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or obtain such qualifications by the designated arrival date (applicants for the ALT position may alternatively hold a certification of completion of a 3-year course to teach at primary/elementary or secondary schools or obtain such qualification(s) by the designated arrival date).
(5) Be a national (not just a permanent resident) of the country where the recruitment and selection procedures take place by the time they submit their application form. Furthermore, thosewho possess Japanese nationality must have submitted their applications to renounce theirJapanese nationality before submitting their Reply Form. Applicants who possess multiple nationalities with countries other than Japan may only apply as a national of one of those countries.
(6) Be adept in contemporary standard pronunciation, rhythm and intonation in the designated language (see Note 4) and possess excellent language ability that can be applied accurately and appropriately; have the ability to form sentences in a comprehensive and logical manner.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The cost of transportation from the participant’s origin to Japan, as well as remuneration, will be funded by the tax payers of Japan via the contracting organisation where the participant is appointed. Because participants serve as civil servants of their contracting organisations, they are required to uphold behaviour befitting civil servants.
Duration of Programme: Generally, participants are appointed by a contracting organisation for a one-year period.
How to Apply: PLEASE COURIER (WITH A TRACKING NUMBER) OR HAND DELIVER YOUR COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE TO:
EMBASSY OF JAPAN
259 BAINES STREET
Award Providers: Government of Japan