Stigler Center Journalists in Residence Program for Emerging Journalists in Business Reporting 2019
Stigler Center Journalists in Residence Program provides a transformative learning experience for up-and-coming journalists from around the world, working in all forms of media. It aims to shape the next generation of leaders in business reporting.
Application Deadline: 15th October 2018
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): University of Chicago, USA
About the Award: The program will take place over approximately 12 weeks at Hyde Park campus, during which selected participants will audit classes, participate in events, collaborate with peers, and socialize with the university’s greatest scholars. Participants will choose their own classes at Chicago Booth. Examples of classes include The Firm and the Non-Market Environment with professor Marianne Bertrand and Crony Capitalism with professor Luigi Zingales.
Eligibility: Working journalists who have some years of media experience and are proficient in English are encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Reimbursement for economy-class airfare to/from Chicago and SEVIS and visa application fees
- A stipend* of $12,000 to cover living expenses over the twelve-week program
- World-class training in business fundamentals at Chicago Booth free of charge
- Participation in seminars and workshops at Chicago Booth and across the university
- An opportunity to write for the ProMarket blog
- Interaction with Booth faculty and students as well as other program participants
- Designated study space
- Certificate of participation upon successful completion of program
Program participants are expected to:
- Audit 3 classes
- Attend and actively participate in classes and complete all required readings and assignments
- Participate in Stigler lectures, lunches, and social events as well as other events recommended by the center
- Sign a letter of agreement with the center to indicate that the program guidelines and expectations are mutually agreed upon
Duration of Programme: 12 weeks
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit their application materials through the online system by October 15, 2018.
Applications must include:
- Two letters of recommendation
- A copy of three published news articles, preferably in English. If the articles are not in English, a translation should be submitted along with the original articles. Television and radio journalists should submit video/audio files along with a transcription in English.
- An essay of about 500 words describing your interest in the program and what goals you hope to achieve through the program
- Non-native English speakers must submit proof of English proficiency (waived if undergraduate or graduate degree was obtained in an English-speaking country). Examples of proof of English proficiency include:
Click here for detailed application instructions.
Award Providers: Stigler Center