10 African Union Masters Scholarships in Epidemiology at the University of the Witwatersrand 2019
The Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) – a Specialized Technical Health Agency of the African Union, invites qualified candidates to apply for a full scholarship to undertake the full-time study in the Master of Science in Epidemiology degree programme at the University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public Health.
Application Deadline: 31st August 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): School of Public Health at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa.
About the Award: The degree programmes are open to candidates from a range of disciplines including clinical and other health-related fields; statistics and other quantitative fields, as well as demography and social sciences. The scholarship will focus on candidates currently working with the National Public Health Institutes in their respective countries.
The Africa CDC was launched in January 2017 by the African Heads of State and Government to ensure Africans have public health institutions capable of mitigating against the social, economic, and security dimensions of infectious disease threats. In supporting the African Union Member States to establish and strengthen National Public Health Institutes, the aim of the scholarship is to strengthen public health workforce capacity within the Member States.
Fields of Study: The candidates can apply for any of the six fields of study under the programme. These are:
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Field Epidemiology
- Infectious Diseases Epidemiology
- Public Health Informatics
- Biostatistics and
- Implementation Science.
- Be a citizen of and resident in any of the 55 African Union Member States, and working with a National Public Health Institute
- Must be nominated by a National Public Health Institute of any of the 55 African Union Members States
- Have proof of admission to undertake the full time Masters programme at the University of Witwatersrand
- Be a holder of a honours degree or equivalent in a relevant field, an MBBCh or other health related degree, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours or equivalent
- The degree must be from a reputable fully accredited University
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards, if any
- Be able to commit to work in a National Public Health Institute in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years
- Applicants should be 35 years or younger by 31st August 2018
- Be proficient in English
- Meet the university programme’s requirements:
The African Union believes in equal opportunities for men and women, and women are especially encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards: 10
Value of Award: The Africa CDC will provide full scholarships for ten Masters students in the 2019 academic year. The scholarship covers the following:
- The cost of one most direct return economy air ticket per year;
- Tuition fees which will be paid directly to the University;
- Basic medical and accident insurance;
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation;
- A limited allowance towards the costs of recommended learning materials (reference text books and necessary software);
- Limited support for the research project expenses and
- Limited support towards the cost of a laptop.
Duration of Programme: Master of Science in Epidemiology in any of the fields of study listed above (18 months
How to Apply: The application process is in two-fold. It is important to go through application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Award Providers: Africa CDC
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It