Institut Français/French Institute in South Africa (IFAS) Art Residency Programme for Artists (Funded to Paris, France) 2018
The Institut Français in collaboration with the French Institute in South Africa (IFAS) is launching its 2019 call for applications for the residency programme to be held at the Cité Internationale des arts in Paris.
Application Deadline: 15th August 2018
To Be Taken At (Country): France
About the Award: This programme is intended for foreign artists wishing to develop a research and creation project in Paris, for a period of three or six months.
Projects from the following field can be selected: Architecture/Landscaping/Urban planning, Visual arts Street arts, Street arts/Puppets, Digital arts, Comic arts, Cinema/Animated cinema/, Creation documentary, Exhibition curator, Design, Graphic arts, Literature/Children’s literature, Art trades Current music, Photography, Classic & contemporary music, Virtual reality, Music for film and video games.
- Young public
The Institut français would like to encourage projects by artists who target especially a young public, in all areas.
- Environment/Sustainable Development
To continue to give thought to the Paris Agreement, the first universal climate agreement, the Institut français wishes to encourage artists’ projects committed to the theme of ecology, climate change and the environment. In this aim, priority will be given to artistic proposals connected with institutions, NGOs, scientific bodies and researchers in France.
- Art and Territories
The Institut français would like to emphasize the link between artists and the territory in which they work. To echo the 2018 edition of the International Venice Architecture Biennale, which has selected the theme of “free space”, projects in the realms of architecture, landscaping, design, urban planning, art in public areas, related for example to issues involving the transformation of industrial and agricultural wastelands in cultural venues, will be particularly appreciated; as will projects that establish a bond between culture and a social and solidarity-based economy, projects that address issues on collaborative areas, etc.
- Technical and Technological Research and Innovation Artists wising to develop projects requiring specific techniques and/or cutting-edge technology they would like to acquire, likely to be present in France, particularly through the fablab, biohacklab and medialab network (for further info, www.makery.info/), may apply in this category
- as well as creation projects in a digital environment
- and projects in art trades such as ceramics, jewellery, textile arts, etc.
Type: Short course
Eligibility: The artist must
- Live in South Africa
- Already be active in his/her professional life
- Be proficient in French and/or English
- Provide proof of previous artistic work
- Be sufficiently independent to manage his/her residency
- Be free of any professional obligations throughout his/her residency period
- There is no age limit.
Selection Criteria:In addition to evaluating the applicant’s professional path, special attention shall be paid to the quality of the project, the need for a stay in Paris, the work protocol being envisaged, and the contacts established in France with art centres, cultural bodies, artists, curators, critics, researchers, etc. These actors shall act in an advisory, networking and assistance capacity during and following the residency.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: What will be provided
- A return flights
- A studio with accommodation at Cité Internationale des Arts.
Artists in residence may also benefit from access to group workshops in the areas of silk screening and engraving, as well as to a ceramic kiln.
What the resident will need to provide or find extra fundings for
- Insurance for hospitalisation, medical expenses, repatriation and civil liability
- A 500 euros security deposit to be returned at the end of the stay providing that the studio-
apartment has been left in good condition.
- A production budget
- Living expenses
Duration of Programme: 3 – 6 months
How to Apply: Send your application form duly completed with all the required documents below.
The format must be in PDF or JPEG.
Please send all the documents at once via wetransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application form duly completed (YOURNAME_ AppForm)
- An ID photo (YOURNAME_ IDphoto)
- A photocopy of a current valid passport (YOURNAME_ passport)
- A sworn testimony confirming that the candidate is: (YOURNAME_ testimony)
o the author of the works submitted to the commission
o will be free from their professional activities during the whole residency period.
- A resume (YOURNAME_ resume)
- A short biography (500 characters maximum) (YOURNAME_ bio)
- A description of the detailed project (between 3 and 5 pages in French or English). The candidate
should indicate the motivation of his/her stay, themes of research and nature of the works.
- Portfolio (YOURNAME_ portfolio)
- 3 photos of your work, each of them must be titled (YOURNAME_ photo1_title)
- Any visual or sound document in French or English that may help to give an idea of the project
NB: If the application form is not complete or if a document is missing, the application will NOT BE REVIEWED.
Award Providers: Institut Français, French Institute in South Africa (IFAS)