Johnson & Johnson Management Development Institute (MDI) Scholarships for Health Care Organisations in African countries 2018
The Management Development Institute (MDI) enhances the management and leadership skills of sub-Saharan healthcare professionals through a one-week in-residence training program and up to a year-long supported project.
- Application Deadline (MDI Eastern Africa, English) : 18th June 2018
- Application Deadline (MDI Western Africa, English) : 13th July 2018
- Application Deadline (MDI Southern Africa, English) : 15th June 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at:
- Eastern Africa: Amref Health Africa, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Western Africa: Lagos School of Business, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Southern Africa: Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
About the Award: The Management Development Institute (MDI) for Health Care Organisations is a one-week intensive program designed to enhance the leadership and management skills of program managers and leaders of sub-Saharan organisations, governmental and non-governmental, that are devoted to delivering health care services to underserved populations. The program has been designed to specifically assist African ministries of health in implementing their particular national health priorities.
The MDI program was designed by world-class management faculty from the Anderson School of Management at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and by leaders of Amref Health Africa. The MDI is delivered by outstanding faculty from: Amref Health Africa, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration, University of Cape Town Graduate Business School, Institut Supérieur de Management (International School of Management, ISM), Nova School of Business and Economics.
The MDI is administered by the Global Business School Network and is funded by Johnson & Johnson, one of the most admired companies in the world today. In 2017 MDI will be taught in three languages: English, French and Portuguese.
- The MDI is designed for high-level managers of public sector, NGOs and other civil society institutions whose organizations are dedicated to improving healthcare for underserved populations.
- Interested candidates should apply as a team of 2-5 individuals from organisations who have related leadership responsibilities for implementing national healthcare programs and priorities in their organisation, country or region. This format increases the impact of the MDI and the program’s utility to support national health systems is enhanced.
Depending on the country and sector, candidates should have the following titles (or the equivalent):
- Project Manager
- Program Manager
- Executive Director
- Program Coordinator
- Public Health Coordinator
- Regional Coordinator
- Chief Medical Officer
- Chief Nurse
- Medical Superintendent
- Country Coordinator
Number of Awards: Thirty-six participants are selected for each of the trainings.
Value of Award: The cost of the MDI training program is USD $5,200 per participant. Johnson & Johnson awards full scholarships to all managers who are accepted to the course and have the greatest potential to positively impact the quantity and quality of services in their organisation. These scholarships cover the cost of tuition, training materials, accommodation and meals. Travel expenses, if required, will be borne by the participants.
Duration of Programmes:
- Eastern Africa: 5-11 August 2018 Nairobi, Kenya
- Southern Africa: 2-8 September 2018 Cape Town, South Africa
- Western Africa (English): 12-18 August 2018 Lagos, Nigeria
- MDI for French-speaking countries (First training): 22-28 July 2018 Dakar, Senegal
- MDI for French-speaking countries (Second training): 11-18 November 2018 Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
- MDI for Portuguese-speaking countries : 26 August-1 September Maputo, Mozambique
How to Apply: For the eastern and western (English) MDI programs, please apply using the given links HERE
Award Providers: Johnson & Johnson