News Corp Media Fellowship 2019 for Journalists Worldwide (Fully-funded to Washington, USA)
In collaboration with The Wall Street Journal, ICFJ is offering international journalists an opportunity to participate in an innovative program that includes training on creative storytelling and offers grants to support data-driven projects.
Application Deadline: 7th July 2019
Eligible Countries: All
To Be Taken At (Country): Washington, USA
About the Award: In collaboration with The Wall Street Journal, ICFJ is offering international journalists an opportunity to participate in an innovative program that includes training on creative storytelling and offers grants to support data-driven projects. The prize for the best project is a three-month News Corp Fellowship in New York, where the fellow will receive hands-on training and mentorship at the WSJ media science lab.
This program builds on the News Corp Media Fellowship, which has offered international journalists an immersive, hands-on experience in some of the world’s most digitally advanced newsrooms since 2014.
During the fellowship, the journalist will be embedded for three months in the WSJ’s media science lab to work on a data-driven project relevant to the fellow and tailor-made for the WSJ. The selected News Corp Media Fellow will have the opportunity to work on projects related to:
- Workflow and collaboration in a global newsroom;
- Data science, artificial intelligence and computational journalism;
- New forms of training and internal leadership development;
- Audience surveying and emerging forms of social media analysis.
Prior to the three-month fellowship, ICFJ will host a three-day orientation in Washington D.C., where the fellow will receive training and be prepared to develop his or her own digital projects at the Journal.
Eligibility: English-speaking journalists and editors with 3-5 years of journalistic experience and at least 1-2 years working with data are welcome to apply for the webinar – the first step toward the fellowship.
To be considered for the fellowship, journalists must:
1. Participate in two half-day webinars conducted by editors and reporters with expertise in digital tools, data journalism and visualization, artificial intelligence, integration to mobile, and audience engagement. During the hands-on webinars, participants will learn how to pitch a data-driven project and to develop a prototype. Webinars will be open to a select group of up to 40 journalists and will take place on July 29 and 30. Apply to attend the webinars here by July 7.
2. Receive one of five news innovation grants to support your data-driven project. Only journalists who participate in both webinars are eligible to apply for these grants. Projects should promote new forms of storytelling, data journalism and visualization, and citizen engagement. Each grant recipient will also benefit from online editorial coaching and mentorship from experienced editors, reporters and data experts.
Only journalists who complete both stages successfully will be considered for the News Corp Media Fellowship. The ideal fellow will bring considerable talents, a strong work ethic and abilities to the WSJ newsroom.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: All travel and fellowship expenses are covered by the program.
Duration/Timeline of Programme: 3 months
How to Apply: Please apply here.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Studying in Canada vs USA Which is better Study Abroad Comparison
7 Things You Didn’t Know About the Richest Black Man in the World
7 Books Oprah Winfrey Thinks Everyone Should Read